Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Might have ot get a new grip...

Lanzo

If you had to buy a new grip for an open SV gun would you still go polymer or is the extra money worth it for steel or alum? I've heard of the metal ones being more rigid and helping recoil some. The weight is also a bonus. They've been out long enough that I would think poeple have had time to form solid opinions about them.

Who has switched and have you really noticed a difference? Did you get a small or large? Alum or Steel? If I do buy a new grip I want to get the best I can...do it right from the start. Is it worth the extra couple hundred to have the metal? I've handled one and shot a few rounds, but it was a shorty (my SV is full size) and I didn't shoot it enough to notice if I would really like the change. It was a small grip. Felt awesome though!

Thanks for your time.

--Lanzo

I have been wondering the same thing. I am hesitant to buy a metal grip since I'm not sure which size I like and I have not seen one in person.

My grip has been thinned, contoured and stippled but I have it in my head that sometimes it flexs enuff to hang mags.

My limited gun has been thinned and contoured and grip tape added and I really like the feel of it better than the stippling.

Well maybe I can get a chance to see one at one of the larger matches this year??

Quite a chunk of cash to layout on the unknown.

Mildot

Lanzo,

I just had Dan Bedell replace my plastic grip on my open gun with a new plastic. I did some casual research and didn't think that it was worth changing to metal. My original grip cracked while trying to mash a overloaded big stick in! I didn't think i was pushing too hard. Good thing I found the crack while cleaning the gun, not the hard way!! Dan did a great job, the new grip looks and feels great! Lesson learned about the mags too!!

Jan

Lanzo,

This is just my opinion, but I REALLY like the SV signature grip in stainless steel. It puts your hands in a higher position and really helps with recoil control. I have some great polymer grips that have been stippled and reduced, but I prefer the SS Signature grip. I also like the 120 grit tape.

Also, I've found that the steel grip really helps on reloads. After several months of shooting a Signature grip, I practiced with my poly gripped Tripp pistol a few weeks ago. I found myself waiting for the magazine to drop from the grip. The empty mags seem to eject out of the steel grip, rather than just drop.

Edited by SV-COP