Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need some advice

mcattack

I was shooting my New Stag Arms Ar and was using some wolf 62 gr ammo; shot maybe 30 rounds when one did not eject when I went to rack the bolt it would not move. Looking down in the barrel the last round was stuck and bolt will not come back so I dont want to brake something. So I guess I need some help or ideas on how to get the case out with out damaging the gun. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Edited by mcattack

Put the gun on safe. Grab the charging handle and release it so it can move when you yank on it. As you pull on the charging handle smartly "rap" the stock into the ground while pulling the charging handle back(keeping the muzzle in a safe direction). You are using inertia to help pull the bolt back with the case when you "smack" the stock onto the ground when pulling on the charging handle. It may take a couple of times to dislodge the cartridge. It happens....but I would take a case gauge and check the rest of your ammo.....that sounds like a pain in the butt lot of ammo....

Good luck and be safe,

DougC

If it is a fired round & is a complete piece of brass, take a cleaning rod from the muzzle end & tap the brass down with a small hammer while the bolt is locked open or better yet, remove the bolt if you can pull the gun apart. That way the bolt won't accidentally release & slam into the nearly removed pc of brass. BE ABSOLUTELY POSITIVE IT IS A FIRED ROUND BEFORE YOU DO THIS!!!!!

MLM

if the case was lacquer coated, the combination of a carboned chamber and the coating sometimes glues the case into the chamber. Spray some brake cleaner or carb cleaner down the bore and let the rifle sit muzzle up for an hour or two. That should loosen the case enough to bump out as in the first suggestion. Just be sure to properly clean and lube the rifle afterward.

Dwight

had to pull a 5.45x39 out of a .223 barrel one time, guy had repeatedly dropped the bolt on it and slammed the FA a bunch. really hammered it in there... pulled the upper and put it in the freezer for a few hours. dropped a cleaning rod down the bore and it popped out. voila. quick, easy, and painless, and worth a try.