Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

A custom picture frame this crowd should appreciate

ERIC

That is fantastic!!! Did you make it your self? If so, I would say that you could make yourself some side coin. I'm sure there's a guy or two here that would buy one.

That is a nice piece of work, picture wise I might have tried something different, in my head a see a larger collage of more pictures filling the entire frame with no empty space, or a target shaped collage with the green mat border, when I was younger i made some collages by cutting the photos and arranging them like a puzzle to fill the spot, now a days someone good with Photoshop could make something cool and print it in parts of the whole.

Sweet! I really like the way the maple and walnut contrast. What finish did you use? The figuring on that maple is nice. Your mitres look tight and accurate too. Did you sand them to get them tight? (I usually use a disc sander on the table saw to get mine super tight. Takes a little extra time, but looks sweet like that.)Looks like you care and that is what counts. :cheers:

OTOH, I really like that rolling cabinet with the tube steel frame it is leaning against. I have been looking to build something along those lines for my garage so that they could all be moved for cleaning and should I ever move. If you wouldn't mind PMing me about your slide selection, and the wall thickness of the tubing/caster selection, I'd be grateful. That is really typical of the type of stuff I like to build. Steel is king.

Great job!

I made this as a gift for a local AR15 manufacturer who is also a sponsor of the SMM3G. I was thinking of small photos to fill the voids but I didn't want people to have to get up close to see the photos which are 5"x7" and I didn't want it to look too cluttered like scrap books. The mat board was cut out for each photo so a bunch of smaller ones would've been a real pain. Assembly was difficult because there is no easy way to clamp things down while the glue dries and it was glued 1 joint at a time except for the last piece. The aftermarket table saw miter guide is so accurate, that the last piece to be glued on (which was the bottom horizontal piece) only needed a 1 degree adjustment to fit but I must admit the frame is not perfectly square. The joints came out surprisingly tight. The finish is urethane which was wiped on. I used maple splines for the joints. I've made a couple of rectangular frames but this one was a challenge. I haven't given any thought on making some to sell but just the materials for this one was over $100 and shipping something this big and delicate can't be cheap.

post-2477-127273522813_thumb.jpg

post-2477-127273559347_thumb.jpg

For JimmyZip, I including a couple of photos of the work bench.

post-2477-127273563712_thumb.jpg

post-2477-127273564705_thumb.jpg