Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bianchi Gun Gunsmith

bradhe

After what is going to be a 27 year hiatus, I'm going to try and go back the the Bianchi Cup again next year. I am going to need to get a new open gun built. (The last time I shot it a 45 Accu-Comp with a grip mount and an Aimpoint 2 was the the trick set-up). Who knows how to build a high quality 1911 based open gun these days? (I assume no one serious is still shooting an open revolver?) Seems like all the builders that I have used before are either out of it or have moved to building IDPA / self defense 1911s. I need someone who can turn it around in less than six months so there is serious training time and who will build on a gun that I can buy in California. I can afford nice work. Ideas and recommendatioons?

Thanks

Brad

Bob Howard of Predator Custom does all of mine. He can be found here. Predator

You would be better off buying a bare frame and then send it to him. I can help you with a list of parts that I use. The picture on the left is my current gun. It was built on a Les Baer slide and frame. Most of all my parts including the frame and slide came from Brownells.

The hardest part to find these days is a shroud. I use the one from Gilmore but I don't know if they are available. Caspian is selling one now but I haven't used it.

Kevin

The Caspian shroud looks real slick. Bruce Piatt, not a bad shooter all said, helped design it. Rumour has it that Riley has some shrouds kicking about but that would take some confirming.

The Stick Shift is most probably the best mover base about atthis time. I have an older design that I am fond of that is no longer made and if it fails I will go stick shift.

If you have the time come to the cup this year for a mooch around and see what people are shooting. If there is time I am sure some would allow you to have a crack and maybe show you what they have done and would like to change. I have an odd design that locks the barrel to the frame. It works but needs some refinment if I was to do it again.

Just turn up, it might be worth it.

Kevin's gun is very well built and his gunsmith seems to be doing all the right things. The earlier you get a start on this the better. Good gunsmiths get lots of work and they can get severely behind schedule.

What do you mean no one is shooting revolvers anymore? I am switching back to an open revo

this year after playing with the auto for now I think about 9 yrs. ( Revolver :sight: Semi-auto )

Personal appearance may be a good opportunity to pick up a good used gun to as there is

usually a going out of business sale or two from competitors. Sometimes you can acquire a used gun for less than the shroud, frame, slide and mags. If it isn't good enough, enhance it.

MJ

Edited by Allgoodhits