Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 barrel install question

ParaGunner

I have got the hood width and length finished. I am working on the upper lug engagement now and the barrel gets in a bind and gets stuck when the barrel upper lugs goes in the lugs in the slide. It's snapping in and getting stuck coming out of the lugs. I thought it was the hood length, but I can see a little light between the hood and breechface. I also have started filing the rear locking slots on the barrel to get enough engagement,am I filing uneven?What can it be?

Edited by KING 45ACP

Is the barrel a bushing or bull? Bull barrels can bind at the front were the taper starts and this will keep the back from rising up into the lugs. Check this area first before filing the lugs.

Also, check the slot in the slide that the barrel hood fits into. I had a similar issue when fitting my Schuemann bull and there was a very slight dent in the slide and it kept the barrel hood from moving up and down smoothly when locking and unlocking. A very light hit with the file smoothed it right out. It was very hard to see and took some time to figure it out.

Chris

Is the extractor out of the slide?

I've had to use a barrel lug file and deepen the grooves at the 10 and 2 O'clock. Don't think that's it though, that shouldn't cause it to bind.

Check for clearance, not at the hood but the left (looking down onto the slide) side of the breech face. The raised portion that holds the cartridge in place. I've had barrels hit that too. Dychem (sharpie) the area left and right of the feed ramp on the barrel.

YES! I got it installed and it's locking up like a bank vault. I ended up removing a little material from the side and the back of the barrel hood,then I fit the bottom lugs. The chamber only takes ammo up to 1.15 oal and I want to ream the chamber to except 1.18-1.20 oal ammo. Does anyone have a .40 cal chamber reamer I can borrow? Thanks for everyones help.

I have got the hood width and length finished. I thought it was the hood length, but I can see a little light between the hood and breechface.

You're first post threw us all off track I guess. Glad you got it fixed. A barrel reamer will come in handy to have. $60 at Brownells. You think it will be only a one time use, but they always seem to get used.

I guess the chamber is shorter than I thought, I was getting some failure to go into battery with my reloads at 1.15oal during the test fire today. I was really hoping to borrow a chamber reamer from someone or have a local gunsmith do it but I guess I might have to buy one if I can't find someone local.

Roy, got your bbl finished up. A little special voodoo in there to keep from peeling the lead off your bullets as well. I also noticed some serrations on the feed ramp and polished those out as best I could without changing the angle orientation of the ramp. Our small town PO closes at noon on Wednesday but I'll get it out first thing in the morning.