Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best bullet weight for steel?

Fishin6061

I am putting together a man on man steel only gun with my M&P pro and am looking for some load recommendations. All I have to do is knock the steel down. I am considering bullets that are 125, 130, 135, and 147. Any thoughts on what would be the optimal bullet weight for this task?

Edited by Fishin6061

Hello: I would use 124/125's and push them to 135PF. That will make the pistol snappy and knock down the steel. I would also see what works for you better-snappy or a push? Thanks, Eric

For an uncomped gun I think the above is the way to go. I use a 125gr Zero at 1020fps for NRA AP and the gun is slick and quickly back to target. 38Super 6" Metallic sight.

For a comped gun then I have had better success with 115gr going as fast as I can shoot quickly, will smash the plates down.

TG and Moly Polymer bullets are OK, IF and it is a bid IF, you don't try and turn them into the Starship Enterprise. Load them right and they are fine. Load them real quick with a hot burner like TG (and most ball powders for that matter) you will have accuracy issues for sure.