Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking For Itrc 2004 (gillette) Partner

I think I'm all set here. Our last "team" practice is this Sunday, and then I'm off to RM3G and back for one day.

I'm planning to spot through my binocs, though I wish our set of new Geovids had arrived already. Switching from a LRF to binocs is not optimal and it's more junk to carry.

-z

Shouldn't you have been doing the hikes in the hills with your gear for a while on a regular basis in order to get ready? Or are you one of those guys who is always in great shape?

Yes, Rhino, I've been at it for about a month now...and no I'm not. :lol::lol:

Truth is, this match gives me a good reason to try and stay in shape.

I like that quote from Benjamin Franklin about "let the gun be the companion of your walks". Yeah, sure beats the heck of out of shooting hoops or some lame-o "urban excercise".

BTW, we shot a club level 3 gun match two weeks ago that had 8" steel plates out to 375 yds and steel "IPSC shaped" targets from 450 to 600. It was a hoot! We had everything from elk rifles to Tubb 2000 and Accuracy International super-guns. There was no running required.

Good luck at RM3G, Zack!

Man! Being able to shoot at 600 yards must be really fun.

Unless you don't have a spotting scope and you have walk downrange and check your targets every time. :lol:

Are you guys going to list your guns and gear for the match?

The key is to shoot steel!

I'm planning to post a report once I get back. We're shooting a PSS in 308, and my CTR-02 for the carbine. I'm bringing between 24 and 30 loaded mags... My pistol is a single-stack 1911, his is a Wilson double-stack.

-z

Does anyone make a laser range finder that has optics adequate to use for a spotting scope?

Yep. But they are like $3k. Swavorski makes a very nice scope w/ a laser range finder and Leica makes some very nice binoculars w/ laser range finder.

Yeah, Zak is right on target. You just gotta shoot steel out that far or it will run you to death. The RO gets a comfortable chair with a good quality spotting scope and calls the hits. There are a good many reactive targets on the market that jump, flash, or other wise move to help with the call. With a little practice the hits are fairly easy to determine.

Are you guys going to list your guns and gear for the match?

I'll list my partners gear first, because it's the really cool stuff.

John will be shooting a Tubb-2000 in 6.5X.284 with a 5.5X22 Nightforce scope, (tastefully understated, in basic black). Leica 1200 rangfinder. Brazos Custom hardchromed .40 STI limited gun. Spec Opts Brand T.H.E. Pack, with Camelback hydration system. On board for each stage will be about 200 rounds of rifle ammo and two-hundred rounds of pistol ammo. (just in case)

I'll be dragging my AR-15, Colt H-Bar Match Target .223 with a Leupold 3.5X10 Mil-dot. Homeboy built STI.40 limited gun and the same Spec. Ops Brand pack and hydration system. First-aid kit, and a few tools. (better to have it, and not need it, than to need it, and not have it.)

I'll be carrying the same 200 round compliment of ammo for my guns and a six-mag leg pouch for the carbine.

Everthing else will be Spec Opts, right down to our wallets. ;)

Secret weapon: We both carry copious amounts of peppered beef jerky. (helps you think like a Sackett)

Couple of corrections to Sam's list:

I'll be shooting the Tubb in 6.5-284, Lapua brass, 142 gr SMK, 49.0 grains of IMR 4350. I'll probably never be able to do it again, but I have shot a 0.5 inch group at 225yds off a bipod, no sand sock with this rifle. That being said, my MR-30 in 300 RUM would be my first choice if I didn't have to carry it (30 lb rifle).

Scope will be a 6.5-20x Leupold (however you say it) with the mil-dot reticle.

I like the NXS better with the D&L reticle, mainly because the clicks are more positive, but my rings were too short when I went to switch it over, and I'm at the point now that I don't want to change anything unless it absolutely must be changed.

Leica 1200

Kestrel wind meter....will leave it at home

STI .40 of some sort, probably won't be the Brazos (too pretty :P ) as my pistol last year took a little beating (rifle banged on the rear sight inadvertantly on the road march portion of the match)

I think I'll use the BlackHawk tactical vest again this year instead of the pack, as I find it a lot easier to stuff mags on the move from front pockets, than to contort myself into accessing the pouches on the pack.

Holster is a Bladetech, mag pouches will be 3-Gun Gears 3 mag pistol pouch, with extra mags in the vest. I'll be single loading the 6.5-284 (loaded long), and will have those in zip lock bags on the vest.

If I were shooting carbine I'd use the Spec-Ops chest rig (holds 8 30 rounders)

Belt is a Wilderness Instructors belt.

If Sam and I seem like a walking ad for Spec-Ops gear, it is because Jeff Wemmer, the president of Spec-Ops has shot the match and sponsored it the last few years, and we (Sam and I) both got more than our match fees off the prize table in Spec-Ops gear last year. Not to mention the JP trigger, etc. If Jeff doesn't make it I'll buy from BlackHawk or Eagle, but only if Jeff doesn't make it.

As for clothing, last year I wore jeans and a T-shirt. This year I may break out the BDU pants so I can stow expended mags in the bellows pocket quickly. It also completes the wnnabe look that irritates some so much. :P

David,

No idea, the gun is new this year and has maybe 200 rds thru it at this point. I expect it to last between 1,200 and 3,000 rds from what I've read on various forums. One of the nicest features about the Tubb 2000 is that switching barrels is super easy. Get a Wheeler barrel vise from Midway, spare barrel and action wrench from McMillan, and you're golden. David Tubb says in his book that if it takes more than 5 minutes, you're slow. I have a spare 6.5-284 barrel, and a .308 barrel to shoot factory loads through, or for when the 10 rd mags are important. I've been thinking about a barrel in 260 and 6XC, but I told myself I have to burn out at least one barrel first. ;)

Zak,

I don't think Spec-Ops makes a tactical vest per se, I think it is the AK-47 style chest rig. There is a picture of it on the D&L Sports web page.

Spoke with Dave Lauck, the match director, tonight. The match is going to be a lot different this year. He said that if all the military teams that have said they are coming show, there should be 50 teams. In order to run that many shooters some of the courses had to be condensed.

Sadly, the gulley course is out. The ROs have to run the course step for step with the shooters, with the rough terrain there is no way they can ride a 4 wheeler and still call the hits. It is simply asking too much of the volunteer match staff to hump the hills that many times, and no team is going to want to be slowed down by fatigued ROs.

In place of the gulley course is a shorter course (if you can call a 45 minute COF short) with an extremely high round count (300-500 rds each carbine and pistol). Some targets to be engaged from a moving vehicle (here spray and pray will likely be the winning technique). Per Dave the military teams were requesting a high intensity simulated urban rattle battle type stage, so this course bears that in mind.

The Bambi Ranch course (4 plus mile course) is out. In its place is a 2 plus mile course on slightly less hilly terrain. It will be located near Recluse, Wyoming. The shots as always will be unforgiving, but shortening the course will allow more teams to get through before night vision gear is required. There will more shooting, less ground pounding.

The Arvada course is back, highly modified. It is all road march this year, no cross country to confuse the navigationally challenged. The helicopter event is going to be shot here with ARs provided by JP Enterprises, the ARs will subsequently be on the prize table for the winners of the helicopter event. Thanks JP!

There will be a couple of bonus targets that one has the option of engaging with a single round. Hits are worth 250 points. Misses put you down 250. You have the option of bypassing the targets with no penalty. One of the few triumphs Sam and I had last year was nailing our bonus targets! Our thought process? We came to shoot, dagnabit!

I am psyched! Plus with the shorter courses, I now have to reconsider my choice of the Tubb 2K, may waffle back to the MR-30, as that sucker thinks shooting starts at 1,000 yds. Decisions.....decisions. :D