Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

52 gr bullets for Multi-gun

BigDave

After five years of owning the gun, I'm finally getting around to finding out what heads work well out of my gun (20" 1/9 Clark Gator).

Yesterday, I tested the red box Black Hills 52 gr MHP loads and the Ultramax 55 gr Nosler Ballistic Tips. The 52s just shined with my limited skill and experience. Prone, with a bipod (and a Trijicon TR21R at 4.25x), I was shooting anywhere from 0.9 to 1.5 MOA groups consistenly at 200 and 300 yds. The Ballistic Tips were not nearly as good (2 MOA + and consistently landing 2-3 MOA right of POA, and this would happen right after/before shooting a group of 5 with the 52s, so no condition issues).

My question is, how do 52s do in our games? Assuming I do my part of getting the round on the target, how do they fair? I know not everyone loads the heavies (e.g. Tony Holmes shoots 50s). Also, are some better than others (e.g. Sierra's vs. Speer vs. Berger vs Hornady). Also, what powders to push these and what MVs?

I know there are a lot of questions packed in there, so TIA.

Edited by BigDave

I'm shooting 50gr Vmax's because I had a bunch of them for prarie dogs, and they were left over. Using about 27gr H335. JP supermatch barrel is giving me groups about .75" at 100 with a 4x Burris. I would like more power on the scope to really try to see how it shoots, but I have to wait and save up more funds. Obviously these will probably blow a little more in the wind, but they will probably shoot a little flatter than the heavier bullets, so it's all a trade off. If I'm getting sub MOA, I'm not sure I want to mess with it more. I have shot this load to 300yds in matches and it still activated the flash targets just fine, but I don't know how it does past that.