Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AR buffer

J.Schmitt

I am looking for anything that will help with smooth operation and reduction in wear to my rifle. I had been using Tetra grease, until last year I switched to--Slide Glide--, on my buffer spring due to it being steel and the tube being aluminum. I have been using Miltec on the carrier.

I'm looking for getting the best mix of products. Is there any reason not to use the oil and grease in combination as I have been doing. Are there better products to use in conjunction with each other. I want to get the most out of both products that I use.

"GentlemanJim's quote from the BCG topic

"I use slide glide on the cam pin and cam path

A good oil on the rest of the BCG..ie rails,gas key"

Jim"

This leads me to belive that slide glide works in conjunction with oils.

Opinions please

Jay

Lube is lube to me so not sure what you would gain by mixing Slide Glide and oil in the same weapon. I use Mobil 1 synthetic in the AR since I run my bolt/carrier on the wet side & clean them up after a few hundred rounds. Still have the first quartz of Mobil 1 after 12k rounds. The only 'grease' I used in the AR is in the buffer tube to attenuate the 'twang' sound.

I think grease is better. Lawnmower shop grease-like in a small grease gun cartridge. Lithium grease-about $2 for several years supply. Stays where you put it-just use a little. Sounds like you are doing it right. I don't use Slide glide on buffer springs-might be ok. Seems a little sticky for that-but if it works it works. I try not to mix Militec and grease-one or the other usually gets pushed out. Been using Weaponshield on bolts and triggers, along with a little TW25 on the sear. Probably TW25 could be used everywhere, but things are working pretty good. If I had only one it would be TW25, or the Weaponshield. I think it's kind of like socks-none of us use the same, but they all seem to work ok.

Lube is lube to me so not sure what you would gain by mixing Slide Glide and oil in the same weapon. I use Mobil 1 synthetic in the AR since I run my bolt/carrier on the wet side & clean them up after a few hundred rounds. Still have the first quartz of Mobil 1 after 12k rounds. The only 'grease' I used in the AR is in the buffer tube to attenuate the 'twang' sound.

+1 on all the overhyped concern over what lube to run.

Mobile 1 is great (castrol is actually better :ph34r: ) There is absolutely no point in a gun that will see near the friction heat or pressure that an engine will.

Do, however, pay attention to your climate. Most gun applications just don't have the mojo behind them to overcome cold grease.

Edited by smokshwn

I am not looking to "gain" by mixing an oil and a grease. I run my bolt wet as well and as a result that wet oil has a habit of making its way back into the buffer tube where my grease is at. Not sure what kind of hinky stuff those 2 do back there in the dark recesses of the safe!!!

Jay