Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XD9 Tactical

hueycrew

Hoping to catch Rich D's attention.

Having an issue that started recently.

I'm having a failure to extract and eject a casing that results in a jam where a round is partially stripped from the magazine and stuck under the partially extracted casing. Most times this happens in a practice session however, yesterday it happened on my last stage of the Match in Warsaw, IN.

The casing comes out easily, its not stuck. Just hard to clear.

I thought perhaps something was stuck between the extractor and the slide(reducing the tension on the extractor) however, that was not the problem.

Gun has around 3500K through it. Using a 16 lb recoil spring.

My reloads are pretty tame but do exceed PF for minor.

Think maybe the extractor is worn out? The hook is in good shape, ejector is too.

Ideas?

Extractor tension and it has to have a full hook, you need a load with enough power to cycle the slide fully. Squeaking in at 125 isn't enough to fully cycle the gun with 100% reliability, 135pf would be the base to start from. Look at the brass being used for a full rim for the extractor to hook onto. Are you putting enough crimp on the rounds you are loading? If you have recently changed something go back to what you were using prior and see if the problem occurs.

Rich

I used a different reloader. Pro 1000 instead of my Classic Turret Press. The Pro is off the bench already. No Lee FCD on these rounds. OAL is 1.130. 4.3 W231 124g Berrys bullet Win SPP. I never had a problem when I used the Classic Turret Press. (duh, shoulda thought of that)

Brass was all WIN with a pre inspection (wore the bifocals). No major PF bulge and rims were in good shape.

Looks more like my reloading process than the gun.

How long should an XD extractor last? Is a 16 Lbs spring strong enough? (I was thinking about a 19 Lbs)

On a side note, I have a Hornady LNL AP to set up. I cannot wait to use it! Need to sell the Pro 1000! I really should buy a chrono.....

Thanks Rich!

• 4 weeks later...

Hoping to catch Rich D's attention.

Having an issue that started recently.

I'm having a failure to extract and eject a casing that results in a jam where a round is partially stripped from the magazine and stuck under the partially extracted casing. Most times this happens in a practice session however, yesterday it happened on my last stage of the Match in Warsaw, IN.

The casing comes out easily, its not stuck. Just hard to clear.

I thought perhaps something was stuck between the extractor and the slide(reducing the tension on the extractor) however, that was not the problem.

Gun has around 3500K through it. Using a 16 lb recoil spring.

My reloads are pretty tame but do exceed PF for minor.

Think maybe the extractor is worn out? The hook is in good shape, ejector is too.

Ideas?

boost your load up a bit and go to a 17# spring. the slide is too heavy to cycle properly with a light load and a 16#. also, replace you mag springs with Wolff +5%.

• 4 months later...

I've been running into the same problem. I just ordered a recoil calibration pack from Wolff. I'm hoping that putting a lighter recoil spring in will solve the problem. If not, it's off to Springer to get the extractor replaced. I'm also loading to about 135PF and still having the issue. I'll let you know if the spring switch solves the problem.

If there is not enough extractor tension (as Rich said in short) rounds tend not to eject correctly sometimes. I tend to send my XDs off to Scott Springer and have yet to be dissapointed. He has great turn around time and is a true professional in his work. 125 PF is not a good thing and as Rich says 135 is better for 100% reliability IMHO.

Good luck,

RLTW,

SGM ® Scott