Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sti Edge 40 Ipsc Major Load Help!

635 PCSO

I searched couldnt make up my mind, I am new to reloading. What do you suggest for a 40 MAJOR IPSC load in an 5 inch STI EDGE. Brass, Primer, Bullet, OAL, crimp and powder? I need to buy bulk to save money. This is a common sidearm in IPSC what is the popular load? I would like a soft shooting load that I can improve my shooting skill on. I jerk the trigger so a soft shooting load is a must. I have looked at a ton of load recipes, I need a newby load.. I just picked up an edge and a 550 press set up for 40. I have trained with a 686 and I am able to track the sights with a revolver. I am looking for a tame load that will allow me to grow and track sights with the Edge.

I would like to thank the expierianced reloaders and shooters in advance for all of the advice you offer to us new guys. It is priceless... I would like to pick a load and buy conponents and build and shoot. Soft shooting is a must due to me being recoil sensitive.

For a soft load I'd use 200grs instead of 180.

Here you are some recipes, all tested and used in my SVI Competition:

200 grs FPBB lead bullet

CCI 500 - Small Pistol Primers

Winchester/Fiocchi Brass

4.0 grs. Vihtavuori N320

1.200" O.A.L.

Moderate Taper or FCD Crimping

PF 175

Winchester/Fiocchi Brass

4.5 grs. Vihtavuori N340

1.200" O.A.L.

Strong Taper or FCD Crimping

PF 174

205 grs FP plated bullet

Winchester/Fiocchi Brass

4.4 grs. Vihtavuori N320

1.200" O.A.L.

Moderate Taper or FCD Crimping

PF 177

Please, approach these values by steps: I suggest you starting a couple tenths of grain (maybe .3 grs with the faster burning N320 powder) below the indicated load, and work up from that, verifying each load with a chrono and a thorough inspection of fired cases for overpressure signs.

Beware that, with more progressive powders (like N340, N350 and so on) pressure spikes could arise from an excessively low charge too, due to the double-ignition phenomenon.