Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Duty 1911

caz41

Update, since the Para does have the firing pin safety I am told that it is being reviewed and "should" be added to the allowed list. I also spoke with George Wedge at Para and he got me some sweet info on a 14rd capacity .45 with a factory light rail. Thanks for all the help guys!!!

If you go with a Para get a stainless steel. I have a 16-40 LDA, with rail, that I carry daily (for the last 4 years, you get used to the weight)I have shot some competition with it also, it was blued, a very crappy paint, that flaked off with each cleaning it has since been refinished (my dime $175.00). I probably have 6-8K rounds through it, problems besides the finish: less than a month old broken link, rear sight slid off, trigger reset will take a bit to get used to. I have since put fiber optic front sights on, because the night sights are rough to see in South Cali sun, I carry an X300 on my belt when UC or switch to Safariland and attach the light when on an operation. Would I recommend a Para? If you want a 1911 platform that is 16+ rounds and all steel I think its the only game in town, so I would have to say yes. Except for the problems I mentioned it has worked every time I have pulled the trigger. It works with all holsters and extra stuff fit for a 1911 platform.

pardon my ignorance, but what's wrong with the kimber style firing pin safety? or is it just kimbers in general on this board?

It's a poor design for starters, and they are simply a bad idea on a gun you are staking your life on. They are an unnecessary point of failure.

Can you elaborate? Doesn't the series 80 colt have something similar? I know berettas do. I personally think that it's a half way decent idea, and the way kimber actuates it with the grip is better than the trigger. . . But I don't have any first hand knowledge of any failures. not trying to pick a fight, just curious.

Can you elaborate? Doesn't the series 80 colt have something similar? I know berettas do. I personally think that it's a half way decent idea, and the way kimber actuates it with the grip is better than the trigger. . . But I don't have any first hand knowledge of any failures. not trying to pick a fight, just curious.

It does. It works better, but it is still an unnecessary CYA lawyer part that can fail and keep the gun from firing. No high end 1911 has one and neither did the original design. It's not an improvement.

Update on the update. The powers that be contacted Para and were informed by them that they do NOT have a firing pin safety. I also contacted Para personally today and they informed me the same, that they do not have FP safety.

Strick or BB, can you shoot me a link showing it??? This is getting way too frustrating.

Para does use a firing pin safety, or "Firing Pin Lock". It's in the downloadable manual.

Not that I'd recommend Para as a duty gun. The quality just is not there. Para is a step above a Highpoint, but not a big step.

Firing Pin Lock: To minimize the risk of accidental discharge

that may be the result of the pistol being dropped or

the muzzle receiving a blow, this safety device prevents

the movement of the firing pin until the trigger is

intentionally pressed.

Paras own specs claim a "Internal Firing Block"

GI Expert Specifications:

Model Name: GI Expert™

Caliber: .45 ACP

Barrel: 5 inches, stainless steel

Twist: 1 in 16 inches, left-hand

Action: Single-action, Semi-automatic

Sights: Dovetail Fixed, 3-White Dot

Receiver: Carbon Steel

Trigger: Medium length

Hammer: Skeletonized Spur

Magazine: 8-round with removable base pad

Overall Length: 8.5 inches

Height: 5.75 inches

Weight: 39 ounces

Finish: Covert Black Para Kote™

Stocks: Checkered Polymer

Safeties: Slide Lock, Internal Firing Block, Grip

Additional Features: Lowered and flared ejection port, beveled magazine well, flat mainspring housing, grip safety contoured for spur hammer

Product Code: GI45

Edited by wide45