Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Making IDPA weight with Shadow Custom

DoubleDelta

Everone says you have to change grips on a stock shadow to make weight. The shadow custom already has different grips so that must help. I imagine that a plastic GR is a must as well as 10 round mags. Has anyone JC'd their Shadow Custom? If so how?

The shadow custom already has different grips so that must help.

http://czcustom.com/CZ-75-85-TS-Grips-Aluminum-Plastic-Rubber.aspx

While the aluminum grips are lighter than the factory rubber grips, they aren't lighter than any of the other choices. The SP-01s and Shadows I usually see on the "IPDA diet" feature some form of wood grips.

Your on the right path with the plastic guide rod and 10 round mags.

The lighter grips like any of the light weight wood will help.

The cocobolo are too heavy. I've used the lightweight walnut grips from my CZ 75 Tactical Sport (their riding on my older SP-01) to shoot IDPA.

I've also tried the plastic grips found at CZ Custom

or the lightweight wood grips from Denis Marschal.

Stupid question of the week:Are you running slide glide and how much weight does it add?

I have in the past and no I haven't noticed a weight increase after applying it. I prefer something a little thinner and lately have been using the free samples of the red Brownells lube that I got from friends who did not want theirs. I've also used Mobil 1 motor oil and Mobil 1 ATF.

This is what I did to my SP-01 Tactical to make weight in IDPA SSP.

1- Dennis Marschal Maple lightweight grips (0.4oz)

2- Plastic guiderod.

3- Trimmer the factory mag brake and flattened it for drop free mags.

4- Replaced the loop mainspring cap for a flat non-looped one.

5- Trimmed all 6 of my factory CZ 18/19 round magazine floor plates. They look like an "I" now under the plastic bases.

This makes my pistol come in under 39oz just barely.

CIMG2681.jpg

CIMG2682.jpg

Jason B)

Can you list some specific weights. The Shadow custom is a little heavier due to no firing pin block, the slide is solid.

My Shadow Custom is 36.90 with no grips and no mag.

A factory 19rd mag is 3.03 oz

The steel guide rod is .56 oz

So how heavy is the plastic guide rod?

Also how much do your modified mags weigh?

Gun without a guide rod or mag with Marschal grips

is 36.78

so I need a guide rod and a mag to weigh less than

2.22 oz combined.

This is what I did to my SP-01 Tactical to make weight in IDPA SSP.

1- Dennis Maple lightweight grips (0.4oz)

2- Plastic guiderod.

3- Trimmer the factory mag brake and flattened it for drop free mags.

4- Replaced the loop mainspring cap for a flat non-looped one.

5- Trimmed all 6 of my factory CZ 18/19 round magazine floor plates. They look like an "I" now under the plastic bases.

This makes my pistol come in under 39oz just barely.

Edited by Duke Nukem

----------Mine_____________Yours---------

Magazine: 2.95oz-----------3.03oz

Guiderod: 0.05oz-----------0.56oz

Grips: 0.40oz-----------2.00oz (rubber factory)

Pistol: 35.55oz---------- 36.90oz

(no mag or grips)

Total = 38.90-95 dirty----41.93oz estimated

Don't forget to change the mainspring plug and mod the mag brake. :D

Jason B)

Edited by kfd147

I had a custom Shadow that I recently sold to a local shooter/friend. That Shadow with Marschal grips made weight with the 10 round magazines.

I've had a tactical in the past that also made it with the wood grips (Marschal lightweight wood or CZ walnut) and the 18/19 round magazines (some but not all).

There are varying weights between CZ SP-01 models from the standard manual safety, the tactical with the decocker and the Shadow.

Most recently I put the lightweight plastic grips on a 2006 manual safety equipped SP-01 (with the 3 slots in the rail) and it makes weight using the upgrade recoil spring, plastic guide rod and 10 round magazines (under 39 oz.). The Shadow I have that came to me stock from CZ custom with only the addition of the competition hammer also had the plastic grips installed, plastic guide rod, piano wire style recoil guide rod and 10 round magazine installed and it weighed in at 39.49 oz.

So it depends on which one you have and how much it weighed after the frame came off the casting mold as their are varying differences in weight, I believe, between frames. Now who would be willing to make lightweight but strong wood grips in the same shape as the aluminum grips. I've broken too many pairs of the Marschal grips.

The difference in weight is true. As for cracking the grips, I use a small rubber o-ring around the grip screws instead of a metal washer. It locks them in place, but gives them a little cushion. I have not cracked one set of grips in 10K rounds that I have had them on the pistol.

Jason B)

Edited by kfd147