Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40 S&W Steel loads

buckaroo45

Anybody have a feel for how lite a spring set I can run in a Witness Match in 40 S&W for steel plates? Maybe a starter load w 180 grain lead.

Thx

Probably test some clays at like 3.5 it takes me about 4.2 or 4.1 with lead to make major.

leo

Thanks for the responses. I'm curious why you want to run a Limited 40 as minor pf. I have a major pf 40 S&W load of 4.7 gr WST w/180 lead. What I'm after is a light spring setup and mouse fart load for steel plate, NOT a setup for USPSA; already got that.

Thanks for the responses. I'm curious why you want to run a Limited 40 as minor pf. I have a major pf 40 S&W load of 4.7 gr WST w/180 lead. What I'm after is a light spring setup and mouse fart load for steel plate, NOT a setup for USPSA; already got that.

It would probably be pretty hard to get lower then a 8lb recoil spring in a Tangfo. Start with a 10 and as you soften the load move down or you could even snip off coils. I could get my 9mm with minor loads to work with a 8lb recoil spring and it was reliable stripping rounds.

Leo

I have found that using really light recoil springs depends on the quality of your grip. If you have a strong grip that minimizes muzzle flip you can get away with shooting a lighter recoil spring and still have it function correctly. For example, I can use a 6lb recoil spring in my Minor .40 Limited gun without any issues but if anyone else shoots it with the 6lb spring it will have failure to feed jams because they let it muzzle flip excessively. I have to put an 8lb recoil spring in it to have it feed reliably when other people shoot it.

To start off with get 8lb and 10lb recoil springs and test each one to see if the gun still feeds reliably. Then work your way down until you start having feed problems then bump it back up to the next highest weight spring.

My Limited Minor .40 gun has a lightened slide (1oz taken out of the front of the slide) and like a .22 with ZERO muzzle flip. Its entertaining to shoot.