Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wife - Short Thumbs Help

D.Hayden

graywolf.... Like all good beretta's... it's been to Langdon's... thanks. Without that, she hated it! Now she likes it... doesn't even want to try the Kimber.

I think she's going to be a 'left hand mag release' kind-a-gal'. At this point, she's happy... And I'm just smart enough to leave it at that for now..

Thanks for all the reponses..... Dave

I just love guys asking guys about advice for their WIFE's gun :)

From a Grrl, the 92 is a great gun to start IPSA/USPSA and IDPA with. I spend my first five years in this sport using one and I highly recommend them!

Left handed mag release works for me - ought to work just fine for her !!!!

• 1 year later...

BerKim,

I've shot with a "left-handed" mag release for quite awhile, i.e. activating with my trigger finger (I'm right handed) due to small hands. Awright guys, no jokes about "small hands, small feet, small ---. If you go that route I have found it a good idea to let the R.O. know about it. It'll save you from getting called or stopped during a stage for "Finger on the trigger" during a reload because that's what it looks like.

Geek,

"1911's don't allow it". Not strictly true. STI & SV sell grips with off-side mag releases and I've got an S & A ambidextrous mag release on a Para I own. Don't know if S & A makes one for single stacks but I would bet they do. I've seen at least one other custom pistol smith who produces a similar set up.

BerKim,

I've shot with a "left-handed" mag release for quite awhile, i.e. activating with my trigger finger (I'm right handed) due to small hands. Awright guys, no jokes about "small hands, small feet, small ---. If you go that route I have found it a good idea to let the R.O. know about it. It'll save you from getting called or stopped during a stage for "Finger on the trigger" during a reload because that's what it looks like.

Geek,

"1911's don't allow it". Not strictly true. STI & SV sell grips with off-side mag releases and I've got an S & A ambidextrous mag release on a Para I own. Don't know if S & A makes one for single stacks but I would bet they do. I've seen at least one other custom pistol smith who produces a similar set up.

I had a S&A on my 1911 for years =it was very nice ot have. Now I have the right side mag =use my trigger finger..

Yes on the RO I should have know. We drove to Houston for a good shoot but the Ro on the first stage was taulking and worning me will I was moving and reloading. polite but firm wornnig about my triger finger durring the reload. I just kept silent, I think now it must have ben me dropping the mag with my trigger finger.

This is an old thread..

My wife fixed it by getting a Glock (actually taking over one in the safe, but it's hers now) about 6 months after this thread started.

The G35 fits her much better.

She just tried a number of pistols until one felt right.

She even likes the factory rear sight, and just recently got a new green fiber sight from a Forum member (thanks Mike!). And of course, Eric's grip tape.

Now she's shooting Limited minor, and uses it for Steel Challenge too. She likes Limited more than L10 or Production, for the mag capacity, but shoots with production gear (holster and mag pouch location).

Of all the righties I've seen/know who use the left hand to press the mag release button, none are fast. I suggest using a different method.

(BTW, I'm a grip-flipper.)

I agree. I have small hands, and a pronounced hitch-hiker's thumb, which makes the digit turn away from the mag release. I have to shift my grip on all the autoloaders I own (Glocks, SIGs, 1911s) in order to depress the mag release.

It does slow your reload significantly if you can't get your support hand away from the gun as fast as possible.

I was trained to shift my grip to hit the release, then regrip the weapon. I can always get it done before my support hand comes back up with the reload.

Andy C.

• 4 weeks later...
I have no idea if this is proper, but I've been working on hitting the release with my strong hand middle finger.

I've been doing this instinctively for ages. Sure the grip flips a little but if you're used to it, it can be pretty fast. Maybe you lose some microseconds than if you had a normal grip during the release, but that works for a short thumb guy like me...