Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dawson Front Sight .285 vs" .300 ?

ctkenc

Why does one choose one height over another for the Front Sight? Why .285 vs: .300?

I'm ordering some Dawson Sights and their web site says ... for the Rear Sight, it "requires a Front Sight height of either .285 or .300"

I don't know what difference it makes to me whether I Order one vs: the other? Does one height or the other have advantages or disadvantages?

Going on a G34

Hoping you guys can once again educate me.

Thanks

Ken

This is the response from the Glock Talk site that I posted for you there, just in case you see this first. :)

I use the Dawson Adjustable sights and have used both the .285 and .300. The .285 seems to bottom out the rear sight meaning the "up" adjustment is almost touching the slide, and for some there is not enough adjustment in the up correction. I went with the .300 height for that reason, it allows more room for vertical adjustments.

Go the .300

I installed one on a G34 and I do not believe I would have had enough adjustment with the .285.

Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. ;)

Just be sure your holster has a nice big front sight track like the BladeTech or Comp-Tac. You are going to need it with that tall of front sight post.

Edited by Paul Burtchell

• 2 weeks later...

I got the .285" FS with the set I bought, not knowing there was a choice. Ran out of adj. room on my G35 & called Dawson. They sent me a 2nd FS with the taller height for a very low cost & fast shipping.

From what I gather, what commonly works for most people is the .285 with a G17 or G22, and the .300 with all the longer slides.

I kept hearing about bottoming out before I ordered my Dawson adjustables for my G35 so I ordered the .300 and couldn't be happier. Works like a champ and I don't have to crank up the rear sight too high to match.