Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon SDB and Universal Clays

BlayGlock

I got a new SDB a few weeks ago and I have been trying to work up some 9mm loads using 147gr moly and Universal Clays. The problem is that I cannot seem to get it to meter consistantly. I am new to progressives and reloading in general, I only had my single stage for less than a year before upgrading. Has anyone else had this problem?

I think I have it narrowed down to three possible issues, but I could be wrong.

1. My Lee scale is not being consistent. It is the one that came with the Anniversary Kit.

2. The powder measure does not like the Universal Clays.

3. Occasionally some of the brass is difficult to de-prime and I have to apply extra force into the machine. This may cause additional powder to drop down?

What do you guys think? I am going to try and borrow a buddies scale tomorrow to check the scale issue.

Edited by BlayGlock

try a dif scale. maybe try a dif powder measure too. Do you lube the cases? I dont lube pistol cases, nor do i even use a progressive yet, but it seems people like to lightly lube the brass, makes the process a little smoother, maybe it'd help your issues with needing to apply more force.

I use Universal Clays and a SDB. Mine seems to do quite well as long as I keep an eye on the wing nut at the end of the fail safe rod.

Try loosening the screw that holds the #2 die clamp to the plate. The one I'm talking about is the screw that holds the clamp down to the plate, the clamp goes around the powder die. I run the clamp tight, but the screw holding it to the plate loose so the die and can self center on the brass.

Mine will throw very consistant down to 3.8gr. Have not tried less.

I use case lube just because it makes the throw easier. Lube on the outside only. Do you have crimped brass thrown in the mix? I can always tell when I get a Winchester match case because the primer is lightly crimped (.45 cal). I toss em out.

I have noticed that the powder charge is different if the case has already been "belled". I'll reuse the same case to get the poweder charge close, but then use a fresh one to confirm. It's usually about .2 gr diff.

Edited by want2race

I'm convinced that my Lyman digital scale isn't accurate at the low end. I basically don't trust it to give me reliable numbers for a single 9mm powder charge (which for me is about 4.3gr). I'll drop 5-10 charges on it, and then divide appropriately to figure out the average.

BTW, I've been loading 9mm on a RL550B with Universal Clays.