Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to clean stubborn residue from forcing cone

Wehrwolfe625

I was at the range the other day, and this guy in the adjacent bay had this blowout! Fortunatly the chap was not injured and he had me inspect this piece. He was using Fiocci factory .357, did not have a squib, and said on the "last" round "it just fell apart in his hands." My only conclusion is that the cylinder was misaligned. What do you guys think?

post-12093-126952659834_thumb.jpg

and said on the "last" round "it just fell apart in his hands."

I'm pretty sure it wasn't the next to last round!

That had to either be one lousy frame or some major force to do that. Damn!

Can't tell much by the picture. I would look at the top strap to see if there is an old crack that finally let go because the busted yoke looks like a fresh crack. :surprise: If the cylinder was misaligned there should be teltale bullet fragments on the forcing cone also. Just my two cents. But I owe you change. later rdd

Interesting. The barrel is clear or has bullets stacked in it? If the cylinder is mis-aligned very much the gun won't go bang. In any case it doesn't look like fun.

It appears to be metal fatigue and it appears that this is not a steel frame.

Looks to me like a Smith and Wesson model M&P R8 - Note the machined rail under barrel, there TRR8 is bolt on.

S&W make pretty sturdy guns, to have a catastrophic failure of the frame it would seem to me like a bore obstruction would have occurred... but I don't see any signs of a barrel buldge. Maybe a fluke in the scandium receiver?

I'd tell him to get on the horn with Smith.

Edited by mrwhite1

That model has the adjustable barrel right? I'm wondering that if the frame was bent, cracked,or misaligned, coupled with the barrel thing? The amazing thing was that the man was totally unscathed! At any rate I think I am sticking with steel!!!!

Ok, ok you got me! It's actually the new B.U.T.T. model (Black Unicorn Talon Tactical) The 2 prongs on the frame are razor sharp, equipped with lasers and become "bayonets" to ward off criminals when all ammo has been spent. "evil doers beware" :devil: