Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Airline Travel With Guns

I will add, make sure the proper city code is tagged on your baggage with the firearm. I would tell you about how for 3 days a M16A2 and a Sterling SMG were lost in Airline Land but I still get weak when I think about it.

The label then goes into the case if its a rifle case or into the suitcase if you have a pistol case inside the suitcase.

This depends on the gate agent and/or TSA agent. I have flown from/to Melbourne, Fl, Orlando, Fl, Wichita, KS, Pittsburgh, Pa, and Tulsa, Ok with firearms. None of them have the exact same procedures. Some want the orange tag in the suitcase on top of the pistol case. Some want it inside the pistol case. Some want to see a clear chamber, some don't. Some want to see empty mags, some don't. Only time any TSA agent had issues with the ammo was coming back from Tulsa.

Flying with firearms is easy. Be flexible, don't argue, if it seems the agent has no idea what to do, tell them what you did the last time you flew with firearms and maybe they'll agree with it and maybe they won't.

BTW, Delta once lost my luggage between Melbourne, Fl and Wichita, Ks for a 24 hr period. Probably got left at Atlanta. It arrived the next day and I went to get it. Didn't want to wait on the airline to bring it to me.

Not sure why, but flying from SF to STL, everything was easy peasy. TSA looked thru our bags in our presence, got to STL and everything was good.

Coming home though, TSA at STL had to go thru my buddys bag, and said mine were fine. No need to go thru them. Well i get home and unpack everything and find a notice that TSA had searched my bags. Everything was there, but in much more of a mess then i had packed. Of course the guns were in a hard sided, locked case that they had no key to, but still......

Only thing i can figure is that they wanted to look at the ammo, which was the leftovers from the match. Tightly taped shut in the plastic Dillon ammo cases i was bringing back.

Al