Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Missing Bianchi for the first time

Guy Neill

I'm sad to report that my wife, Loren, will be missing the Bianchi Cup this year. This is her first time missing in the history of the Cup. She's the last - no one else has made them all.

She's not missing by choice. In some manner the NRA failed to get her volunteer form. Whether she somehow forgot to send it, or the Post Office managed to lose it, the NRA doesn't have it. Normally she mails it back before ever leaving the Post Office, and she thought she had this time as well.

The first we knew of it was when she received a letter from Tom stating that they were full and didn't need her.

Somehow, I would have thought that the NRA may have valued the one volunteer that had always been there and contacted her before dismissing her to see if there had been an oversight. A simple phone call, perhaps?

Personally, even though Loren may have messed up, I feel the NRA fouled up as well. But, then, I'm a bit close to it, so my judgment is likely biased. Still, for all that Loren contributed to the success of the Cup over the years, it seems a little more consideration should have been extended.

Sorry to vent to all, but it just seems callous on the NRA's part.

She hopes to see many of you at the Steel Challenge (who didn't even send a form, but called her to confirm she would be there).

Thanks for listening.

Guy

Guy,

I feel for both you and Loren, she will be missed, this will be my 7th and I missed one in that lot that I still regret.

I am sure a phone call would or should have been made. Either way.

I suggest a call to Tom to see what could be done. Keeping people like yourself and Loren in the "family" is important.

Guy and Lauren,

I too am saddened that Lauren "may" not make the next Cup. However, we all know that there is a new BC coordinator on board at NRA, and since he has only been in that position a few months I am sure it is a challenge for him.

On one hand I am delighted that he is following rules and procedures, and on the other Lauren may be hurt by the procedures in this regard due to an application not being received timely, when apparrently he did receive other applications in sufficient numbers in a timely manner. In the shooting sports time limits are critical to all shooters, now it appears that time limits have become as important to staff. The good news is that it appears that there is an increase in volunteers, since once filled others are turned down.

Perhaps this issue get resolved, but it doesn't seem based on information provided that NRA is to blame. You or Lauren could have as easily picked up the phone to make sure her application was received. Hope to see you both at the Cup, and Lauren working to capacity as always!

Martin

Important contributors at the real shooter level need to be considered. This is especially true at the few matches with a long history. Very few matches have tradition. I don't know Loren, but Guy Neill gives everything to shooting and his guidance is welcomed by me and many others. He is a trusted source. Rules are important but they are not everything. Respect is due to those who earn it. The Neills have earned it. The NRA is trying to build the Bianchi Cup up again, but disconnecting from the past is not the way to do it.

It's possible that the Post Office lost it. In any case, I agree that it's a shame that Loren isn't among the corps of volunteers, and it's a shame that the NRA didn't notice that her application was missing, especially after she was honored last year for being there from the first. I hope something gets worked out, because I am looking forward to seeing all the folks I've gotten used to seeing every year.

Tracy

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sad to report that my wife, Loren, will be missing the Bianchi Cup this year. This is her first time missing in the history of the Cup. She's the last - no one else has made them all.

She's not missing by choice. In some manner the NRA failed to get her volunteer form. Whether she somehow forgot to send it, or the Post Office managed to lose it, the NRA doesn't have it. Normally she mails it back before ever leaving the Post Office, and she thought she had this time as well.

The first we knew of it was when she received a letter from Tom stating that they were full and didn't need her.

Somehow, I would have thought that the NRA may have valued the one volunteer that had always been there and contacted her before dismissing her to see if there had been an oversight. A simple phone call, perhaps?

Personally, even though Loren may have messed up, I feel the NRA fouled up as well. But, then, I'm a bit close to it, so my judgment is likely biased. Still, for all that Loren contributed to the success of the Cup over the years, it seems a little more consideration should have been extended.

Sorry to vent to all, but it just seems callous on the NRA's part.

She hopes to see many of you at the Steel Challenge (who didn't even send a form, but called her to confirm she would be there).

Thanks for listening.

Guy

Tell Loren I feel for her, this will be my first Bianchi Cup that I have missed in 22 years. I had surgery on my finger and hand and it didn't do well so I had to have surgery again on my finger. I thought I did it early enough so I might be able to go but the second surgery is something I didn't take into consideration. There is always next year and if the good Lord sees fit I will be there.

Jeff Rowe

Zero Bullets

Tell Loren I feel for her, this will be my first Bianchi Cup that I have missed in 22 years. I had surgery on my finger and hand and it didn't do well so I had to have surgery again on my finger. I thought I did it early enough so I might be able to go but the second surgery is something I didn't take into consideration. There is always next year and if the good Lord sees fit I will be there.

Jeff Rowe

Zero Bullets

So Sorry to hear that Jeff!!!! I have missed two, one when I was burned by a radiator blow up and after the lose of my first wife Janet. I will miss seeing your smiling face!!!!!

Kim

There is always next year and if the good Lord sees fit I will be there.

Jeff Rowe

Zero Bullets

So Sorry to hear that Jeff!!!! I have missed two, one when I was burned by a radiator blow up and after the lose of my first wife Janet. I will miss seeing your smiling face!!!!!

Kim

Jeff,

We were wondering why we did not receive your entry, heal quickly my friend!

Tom...

Guy-

I first met Loren at the 1988 Cup when she was the "Grim Reaper" (the scorekeeper on the mover). Despite my tyro lackluster performance, she made me feel just as important as John Pride (the match champion, for all you newbies), something I'll always remember.

Seeing her friendly face every year at the Steel Challenge on Roundabout is always a pleasure. If you have a good day, she shares in your joy; if you have a bad day, she shares in your disappointment. She and the rest of the match staff are one of the major reasons I keep coming back every year.

Volunteers are the backbone of our sport. Longterm dedicated volunteers add to the tradition, lore, history and flavor of an event and have a huge effect on its success. Their tireless efforts and love of the event mirrors that of the most dedicated competitor. People like Loren ARE the Steel Challenge and Bianchi Cup. Without them, it's just another shooting match.

Both the NRA and USPSA are in the process of trying to grow these two events. In doing so, they must always remember what made them successful and that is the people.

I hope the NRA will realize this and make the effort to resolve this issue. Whatever the case, I'll be looking forward to seeing Loren in Piru this August.

Jim