Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tanfoglio V12 Gold Custom Major 9 data

Chris Spiess

Nice weather finally corresponded with my schedule and I was able to get to the range to chronograph some major 9 loads for my new (to me, anyway) Tanfoglio Gold Custom. This is my first go 'round with Major 9, and I discovered VV N350 isn't the best choice IMO; it fills the case enough that the press slings it out when the shell plate rotates. I know some like it, but too much of a PITA for my taste. True Blue's higher density makes it much easier to work with, but it does seem a bit messier out of the gun. I loaded both MG 115 CMJs and 121 Hornady HAPs. Although neither made major this time around, both loads are moving up in a linear fashion and there are no signs of pressure issues. Extrapolating the data I got, it looks like 8.4 grains of True Blue will make major with the HAPs, but it will take significantly more for the 115s - like almost 9.0 grains, I think I'll pass on that. I've also go some 125 HAPs in the cabinet to try out as well.

All rounds were used Remington brass and CCI SRPs; COL was 1.145. See attachment for data table.

post-7591-126887381718_thumb.jpg

Have you tried autocomp winchester?

Makes major no problem. This is good stuff but will

this gun function with 23rds in the 140mm mag or 28rds 170mm mag

with out nose divin? That's the million dollar question that

we are all waiting for EAA to come out with a fix. Only thing

this gun can do is to use it for steel challenge matches (10rds) but not

IPSC.

Since you got yourself a steel gun for now try these loads for minor:

125gr with 5.2gr of AutoComp

115gr with 5.6gr of AutoComp

These loads hit about 136pf in my 4.25" shorty no holes STI, feels good, like a very soft flat shooting full size open gun in my shorty.

If you really want soft and flat in a minor and are willing to spring down a bit try 5.0gr of WST with a 115gr bullet. It hits about 126pf and it shoots like an air soft, seems to be accurate enough on steel. My full size gun runs these with a 10# recoil but a 9# or 8# gives it enough snap to feel good.

Major: (oal on all loads in 1.145)

The only load I have hit 170+pf that is ok to shoot is 3N37 with 7.8gr and a 125gr Zero JHP.

This is my testing list:

125gr Test List

HS6 8.0 to 8.4gr

Silhouette 7.8gr

TruBlue 7.8-8.0

N350 6.8 to 7.6

AA7 10 - 10.2 gr

3N37 7.8 (this load hit 172pf).

115gr test list

3N37 - 8.3 to 8.8

HS6 8.4 to 8.8 gr

Silhouette 8.2gr to ?