Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.357 bullets in the 38 Super?

RussB

Is this feasible?

I have a shooting buddy who says he only uses .357 bullets in his Supers!?

Doesn't sound right to me

Generally speaking it's totally fine, and in some barrels will give you better accuracy. Many people will start out with one size and then switch as the barrel wears over time and the accuracy falls off a bit. Mike at Schuemann told me that .357" bullets were totally fine in my .355" bore and I might get even better accuracy with them. R,

I have used 125 gr .357 jhp bullets in both my 9mm and .38 super for over a year with excellent good results. In every case my group size shrunk dramatically. I used the same powder recipe that I was originally using with my 125gr. 9mm bullets, but I started .5 gr. lower and worked up to my original recipe. There was absolutely no signs of over pressure, even in my "hotter" recipes. I'll give you an example of my results (all testing was done at 20 yds. from a rest): Glock 17 went from 3.5" to 2". Sig p226 went from 3" to 1.75", CZ 9mm (open gun) went from 3" to 1.5", and my Limcat .38 super open gun went from 2.0" to 1.25". I really can't see a downside changing to a .357 bullet. FYI, I even tried some 130 gr. .358" moly coated lead bullets with the same recipe as I used for my .357 jhp's in my Limcat and Glock. Although, the test results were from a much smaller batch, the accuracy was even better; I didn't notice any leading or over-pressure. However, before I do a complete change-over to lead, I will do more extensive testing with each gun just to be sure my initial results weren't aberrations. Good luck!