Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone else here march drum corps?

I have few regrets in this life, and NOT trying out for a DCI corps is near the top of that list. I've been to the finals a few times (Madison 92, Bloomington '08, Indy '09) and Phantom's redux of Spartacus was just killer - See this video starting at 4:45. My brother and I saw the Blue Devils tear it up (again) this year at Lucas Oil Field in Indy. Carolina Crown was very, very impressive and I think they'll pull off a championship in the next year or two.

One thing I thought was funny and cool was how SCV's line referred to their four marching cymbal players - Blades. Most corps don't bother with them any longer on the field (at least not Open class), but holy crap these guys had attitude!!! I do believe they could take someone's head off and not think twice about it.

• 2 years later...

Did the drumline in hs and some in college but that was about it. Went to an alumni reunion this last year and learned they have banned the delicia sticks as they were too heavy ie lack of chops and just dumbed down the music form what we had. Best percussion every year for 2 years straight every competition. Got to gear up even and show the young bucks how to properly play the drums.

I marched with Spirit of Atlant in 1984 and 1986.

Good corps. I saw them in 79 or 80 during the tour. Boy, did they surprise some people with how fast they came up. I was living in SC at the time and when they came out with "Georgia on My Mind", it brought the house down.

That was a heck of a year for DCI. The old guard were falling behind as younger corps came along with innovations that just blew them aside. The Bridgemen were really shaking things up and despite their rather peculiar approach, had a really solid musical program. Spirit was climbing the ranks. There was a corps from Canada that was threatening to break into the top ranks.

I remember talking a couple friends into coming to the show. They weren't sure they would like it but after seeing the first corp and being blown away, I explained that the corps came on in order of their ranking, low to high. They were stunned. By the end of the show, they were hoarse and their hands were red and swollen from clapping. They simply could not believe that this was coming from mostly amateur teen agers who only played for the summer.

All I can say is, anyone who has a chance to see major DCI competition should go. It's something you will never forget.