Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mag extensions sticking....help

tigerfan_9

I have 4 glock mags with Taylor Freelance +5 extensions with +10% wolf springs and #8 glock OEM followers. On several of the mags if I load to 20 the follower will stick at the bottom of the mag and not push the rounds up. I'll have to shake out all of the rounds then use a "stick" to push on the follower to get it to pop back up. Any suggestions on what to look for on how to fix this?

Edited by tigerfan_9

Look for a ledge inside the mag body and inside the extension -- if found, smooth it so there isn't a defined edge, these can grab both springs and followers. Look at the follower -- any flashing from the mold left on it? Any sharp edges that could mate with other sharp edges?

Once you've got that sorted out -- how many rounds can you get into the mag? Once you've got them all in there, do you have wiggle room left for reloading with this mag? If no, pull one round and decide that one down from what you could fit, should be your reload capacity. (Same thing if you barely any wiggle room...) Got 1/2 a cartridge width of wiggle room -- then you have compression room to reload with that mag.....

I'd rather have reliable 19 round mags, than occasionally flaky 20 round mags.....

i'll check them out and smooth the surfaces and see how it works.....

yeah the ones that didn't stick could fit 20 and reload 19. i'd like to be able to load mag #1 with 20 so that I could run 20+1 using a barney at LAMR then leave the rest at 19 so that they can be reloaded reliable and not have to worry about not latching in mag well.

I have 4 glock mags with Taylor Freelance +5 extensions with +10% wolf springs and #8 glock OEM followers. On several of the mags if I load to 20 the follower will stick at the bottom of the mag and not push the rounds up. I'll have to shake out all of the rounds then use a "stick" to push on the follower to get it to pop back up. Any suggestions on what to look for on how to fix this?

As Nik says. I remember having to bevel the inside bottom lips a little to avoid this. A razor knife or a light touch with a Dremel and you should be good to go.

Curtis

Mine are still set up on some G19 (15 rd) mags. Got my full +5, reloadable with a reasonable whack IIRC. Been a while since I used those (actually since my first match about 5 years ago).

Curtis

• 3 weeks later...

filed/sanded rough spots in mag tubes, rounded/bevel inner edges a bit and did the follower tuning in ninemmbill's post.

now i can load 20 without the followers hanging up and sticking at the base. all 4 mags will hold a full 20 and function properly and i'll be able to reload with 19 in a mag.

thanks for the help guys.

Edited by tigerfan_9