Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ahimsa & the shooting sports.

aprayinbear

:blush::rolleyes:

Just looking for your thoughts......

First let me say that I love to shoot. I shoot for relaxation, focus, and a sense of history, as when I shoot blackpowder. I am not a hunter, but I respect those who do. I reload for the cost savings and because I love to tinker. I also make things.... historical knives, boats, furniture, whatever I can with the tools I have on hand.

In my day to day life I work in the healing arts and generally aspire to the principles and practice of ahimsa (particularly the ideal of compassion.) In fact much of my earlier life was spent working in violent settings, where those ideals were regularly tested. I come from a Christian background, but practice meditation and seek Divinity in all creation.

To me, there is no contradiction between my love of shooting and my spiritual beliefs. That is why I was originally attracted to this site.

But in the "real world" this is not the case. The fight over gun ownership has become rabid and is an arena I choose to avoid. I am not a member of the NRA, nor any anti gun organizations, for this reason, although I believe in reasonable regulation of firearms and in our right to safely enjoy our shooting sports. I believe in education and accountability when it comes to firearms.

Anyone else out there who is challenged by these same questions? :blink:

I had a professor in college who taught and lived Ecology and was a dedicated shooter and AA fuel drag racer. My brother is a priest and a martial arts instructor

Both ideologies can co-exist. P

Edited by Pezco

I don't find a contradiction, but I certainly have fielded lots of questions from other people (none of whom shoot competitively or recreationally).

Professionally, I "put Humpty Dumpty back together again" ... the knife-gun-drug stuff not so much now as previously.

Shooting is a more recent endeavor; I just plain have a good time with it. Sure, there's the justification of exercise -- hauling props to construct the 30+ round field course before running it a few dozen times ... as the shooter & RO. There is also the physical training, the "mental bubble" of practice time, spending a weekend day on the range with good folks, stretching the non-academic brain learning new skills, becoming a CRO, designing stages. Eventually there doesn't have to be any reason other than enjoyment. That happens to be done holding a .40 high-cap.

I punch holes in paper, I don't "kill" anything. I've done the "life and death" thing for real, for far too long. Match stages aren't "life and death". Targets are cardboard and steel, "hit" targets and "penalty" targets, period. I take a little noise from some of my shooting buddies (who happen to hunt) because I'm vegetarian.

I've also come to grips with the certainty that, if I or my family were cornered with no other way out, the carry gun could make two Alpha hits. Defensive self-preservation is not at odds with healing.

I, too, am weary of the rhetoric. I belong to a national organization, but un-subscribed to all its publications because I couldn't tolerate the rabble.

Rational moderation in all things ... and I believe that competitive shooting has a place in that.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't comment on Ahimsa, as that is a specific Hindu/Buddhist/Jain (and somewhat Christian) philosophy. However, as for Zen specifically, there is significant crossover in practice between it and the Martial Arts.

Edited by Hartmann

First let me say that I love to shoot. I shoot for relaxation, focus, and a sense of history, as when I shoot blackpowder. I am not a hunter, but I respect those who do. I reload for the cost savings and because I love to tinker. I also make things.... historical knives, boats, furniture, whatever I can with the tools I have on hand.

In my day to day life I work in the healing arts and generally aspire to the principles and practice of ahimsa (particularly the ideal of compassion.) In fact much of my earlier life was spent working in violent settings, where those ideals were regularly tested. I come from a Christian background, but practice meditation and seek Divinity in all creation.

To me, there is no contradiction between my love of shooting and my spiritual beliefs. That is why I was originally attracted to this site.

But in the "real world" this is not the case. The fight over gun ownership has become rabid and is an arena I choose to avoid. I am not a member of the NRA, nor any anti gun organizations, for this reason, although I believe in reasonable regulation of firearms and in our right to safely enjoy our shooting sports. I believe in education and accountability when it comes to firearms.

Sorry, I pushed the button prematurely a moment ago.

I appreciate and respect your query. Yes, I have pondered the inconsistency as perceived by others between a peaceful spiritual journey and blasting targets that look like people in adrenaline fueled bursts. I interact with people who have never touched a firearm and value that inexperience as critical to their purity.

I have found serenity in balance--which though sounding trite is a legitimate description of appreciating peace through respecting the potential for violence, of valuing tranquility through valuing the compromise of speed, power and accuracy, through reaching that space in which a tool of potential violence sings from the calmness with which I manipulate it, while on the clock of course.

I'm going to challenge you on the political element. I'm not a joiner myself, and am certainly no fan of the gun debate that attracts the usual histrionics on both sides. If you value shooting and related activities only for yourself, and you could replace those hobbies if they went away, then there is no need for concern on the political front. If, however, your journey involves an appreciation that the right to bear arms is a part of our societal journey, part of what makes us unique in our ability to maintain both our individual and societal security and liberty, then you need to explore the reasons for your aversion to the debate. If you think the political fray is infantile, counterproductive, and repulsive, you're right. If you just don't want to be identified with the "gun culture" because it's contrary to the image you want to portray, that's something different. Every supporter of the "cause" doesn't have to drive a pickup with a "Gun Control Means Hitting Your Target" bumper sticker. But if your firearm-related beliefs (or dare I say, appreciation for our unique Second Amendment) are part of the societal fabric that you value--for others as well as yourself--you may want to look at a bigger picture. Watching others fight your battles is not a tranquil state.

Peace.

Just a friendly reminder about the forum guidelines.

Restricted Content

Politics

Policy and political discussions or debates of any kind - even if you consider your opinions to be "facts" - are not welcome anywhere in the forum.

Specifically including (but not limited to):

• USPSA vs IPSC

• IPSC vs IDPA

• STI vs SVI

• Limited 10 vs Limited Division

• This Division vs That Division

• This Government vs That Government

• Gun Control Issues

This is not a free speech issue. As a privately funded and collectively ran "information exchange," we have found that the emotional nature of political discussions weakens the informative impact of the Forum.

And note that your post, avatar, and anything in your signature represent you, and your relationship with the Forum's Guidelines.