Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooter Dislodges Hearing Protection...

Joe

5.4.2 Addresses the RO 'noticing' or 'realizing' the loss of protective equipment.

What if they don't notice or realize?  Say a competitor shooting rifle bumps his headgear and dislodges it but it doesn't fall off, or the earplug falls out of the side the RO can't see?

If the competitor stopped at that moment and informed you, what would you do?

If the competitor waited until they were finished then informed you, what would you do?

I understand the scoring RO or the reserve RO should have noticed and stopped the competitor but at a local match...

Thanks,

Joe  

At a local match, reshoot-- unless the hearing protection loss is clearly intentional or the shooter doesn't care (like they're already deaf-- we have one of those)

In any safety case; loss of safety gear, squib, etc, if I'm shooting, and the RO doesn't do it, I'll stop myself and say "I think you should stop me". Even if they disagree, I'm out what, a stage? Beats leaking my precious bodily fluids all over the range.

Quote: from Steve Anderson on 2:09 pm on Nov. 20, 2002

I've always wondered what advantage would be gained by dumping hearing protection...this rule implies there is an advantage to be gained...What would that be?

SA

If you know you've blown the stage half way thru it, deliberately or accidentally losing safety equipment would stop you per 5.4.2 and require a reshoot.  Therefore you would be able to reshoot the stage and possible correct what caused you to blow it the first time.  So to prevent that there is 5.4.3 and 10.4.4.

Joe

If I suspect a competitor intentionally dislodged hearing protection during a course of fire in order to get an unfair re-shoot, my response is simple: "If you are finished, unload and show clear." No re-shoot, score it as is. Every Referee/ro must make judgement calls and in close cases it is never easy.  Cheating is not to be tolerated.

I guess you guys haven't seen revised Rule 5.4.2 which takes effect on 1 January 2003:

"5.4.2 Host organizations may require the use of such protection while on the range premises. In this event, Range Officials shall make every effort to ensure that all officials, spectators and competitors are wearing appropriate protection. If an official notices that a competitor has lost or displaced their eye or ear protection during a course of fire or has commenced a course of fire without them the official shall immediately stop the competitor who shall be required to re-shoot the course of fire after the protective devices have been restored.

A competitor who loses eye or ear protection during a course of fire, or commences a course of fire without them, shall be entitled to stop, point their firearm in a safe direction and indicate the problem to the official, in which case the provisions of the previous paragraph shall apply."

I hope you agree that the new second paragraph addresses the issue while 5.4.3 and 10.4.4 dealing with cheating.

Nor have I, officially.

However I was informed that a subscriber to the IPSC Digest made a post stating his AD said that the USPSA BOD has decided not to adopt the revisions recently passed at the last GA.

While such a post cannot be construed as an official statement, the subscriber who posted it is usually reliable.

(Edited by Vince Pinto at 2:14 am on Nov. 22, 2002)