Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

powder funnel cleaning

How and how often do you clean your powder funnels? I've had my RL550B setup for about a year, loaded 5000 9mm (and nothing else) so I hadn't really torn things down until tonight when I started setting up to load some .45. There was a bunch of universal clays stuck to the inside of my 9mm powder funnel...from the top, all the way to the bottom. I ran a dry q-tip through it a few times, but I'll probably use some alcohol to give it a better cleaning before using it again.

I've never really had much of a problem with powder like that. I have always done some 5 minute housekeeping type cleaning (which included the press and it's components) of my loading area and it has never been an issue. I've been loading for more than twenty years and that has seemed to work well for me.

I now always clean the powder measure when changing powders. No one needs to experience that disaster that almost occured to me when I went from loading pistol to rifle and ended up with a .308 Winchester with Winchester 231 in it. Would not have been a good thing on my M1A nor my body.

Always keep your reloading area clean! :rolleyes:

Since I've been doing nothing but 9mm with universal clays so far, I haven't changed powders. The press and everything else is indoors. I never leave powder in the measure between reloading sessions. I thought I was emptying it out after each session, but obviously some was getting left behind. I guess I should give the powder funnels a good cleaning/degreasing before putting them in use.

What about the rest of my dies? I've noticed some of them, particularly crimp dies, come with what looks like a pretty good amount of oil inside them. Is that just preservative to keep them from rusting before sale?

If the will nots are clinging to the plastic, just remove the plastic part and wash it in warm soapy water and air dry. Use dishsoap like Dawn etc and air dry so as not to induce static electricity.