Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

FItting a new Limited barrel...suggestions/ techniques?

pivoproseem

So, how did I screw up? Thinking the barrel was stainless....and cleaning it in a 50/50 mix of vinegar and peroxide. :( It sure looks stainless, but doesn't seem it be. The bore is now etched in spots. :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: I shot a match Sun. with it, and had no trouble shooting A zone shots at 35 yards with it. That being said, I will probably get a new barrel for it, just because it @#$#@% me off. The question is, is it an almost drop in part, or does it require extensive fitting? What are the steps in doing such a job? I have Kuhnhausen's 1911 book..how does the job for a Tanfo differ? Not having to send the gun off will save me some bucks! I've thought about just buying a complete Match top end for it so I won't have to worry about fitting a barrel. Thanks in advance for the help!

Edited by pivoproseem

leson, dont put anything down you barrel but bullets and some soft patches with a non abrasive mild oil, As you found out harsh chemicals and scrub brushes and abrasives will do more wear and damage than just leaving a few streaks of lead, moly or copper in there.

leson, dont put anything down you barrel but bullets and some soft patches with a non abrasive mild oil, As you found out harsh chemicals and scrub brushes and abrasives will do more wear and damage than just leaving a few streaks of lead, moly or copper in there.

Learned that lesson a few years ago.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=65060&st=0&p=755329&hl=vinegar&fromsearch=1entry755329