Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Red dot sight - finding the dot

buckaroo45

I put a red dot on a S&W 627 for steel plates. It's my first experience with a red dot. When I find the dot I do pretty well. When I don't find the dot it looks like I'm shaking snakes off. What method do you use to find the dot everytime? I know, practice. I mean beyond that. What mechanics do you use? :goof:

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Don't shoot fast, unless you also shoot good.." Clint Smith, Director of Thunder Ranch

If you're talking C-More (or other HUD-type optics), the dot module in the bottom of the glass is a good trick. If you're talking tubes, you've got issues. I'll let others chime in on Docter and kin.

(One way)

Trace the path that your gun takes on the draw. Is it nearly vertical to about the upper chest height, and then pressed out horizontally along the focal plane to the target? (or is it more of a diagonal, from the holster out to extension)

Do this:

- Square up to the target with your gun up and out on target.

- Slowly bring the gun back along the horizontal to about the chest/chin height. With both hands on the gun, this is about what is called the "high ready".

- In the high ready, have the gun with the muzzle orientated slightly high. Notice points on the gun that can serve as visual index points for you. (Muzzle, if it is long enough...very top plastic part of the C-more lens...dot module...power knob)

- Pick a small spot on the target. Very slowly press the gun out toward the target. Use the index points on the gun to direct your press out. Using these, as you press out (slowly now) the gun will start to level off as you reach extension. If you drive those index points to the target spot, then as the gun levels off, the red dot appear to drop right down from the top of the lens.

Work from just the high ready. Go in super slow motion...like forever. Burn that movement in. Do so extending from the high ready, and also form extension backwards to the high ready.

Now, if your draw doesn't come up to that high ready point...you will have to change your draw too. ;)

But, just work from the high ready until you get it together.

Ahoy Flexmoney! Used your principle with a little variation and ran thru 300 + rounds in draw / find / squeeze last nite and have a decent handle (pun intended) on the problem. Ran last 50 or so with eyes shut and was very consistent in placement when I opened them. I'm not a candidate for the Army Marksmanship Unit but I don't figger on being last on the score sheet. Thanks for the push in the right direction. Now, where's that 10" plate?

NRA

USPSA

US NAVY

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

When you discover you're riding a dead horse the best strategy is to dismount!