Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

tactical rifle?

sbpt1911

Hi all, i'm thinking of entering a "tactical rifle" match using my ar15. What do you all use to hold your 30 round mags? i'm thinking of either belt pouches like this one My link

Or something like the bladetech 3 mag thigh rig like this My link

Sorry, I think I might have posted this in the wrong sub forum - mods please delete if needed. Thanks

Edited by sbpt1911

I use one of the BladeTech mag pouches like the one in the first link. I also have 2 evenly coupled 30rd Pmags (they are good for monopoding while prone) and a 47rd Nordic/Pmag. The 47rd mag will get you through most stages and I keep one (sometimes two) 30rd mag on my belt as a back up.

Make sure all of your mags will function in your rifle before the match. Also, know your zero and hold for different ranges. It sure makes the match a lot more fun.

Hurley

forum member and all around good guy Mark Otto (supafly) makes some superb 30 rd mag holders, nylon, plenty deep so the mag doesnt come out accidentally but still super easy and fast to extract. Have two of the vertical ones and one horizontal, wouldnt trade them for anything.

Had the bladetech plastic one, was okay, but when you hang it on something it knocks the hell outta you, or gets caught and pulls you up short. the flexible ones just go with the flow... :bow:

I have the 3 mag leg pouches. The nice thing about it is the small amount of room it takes up on your belt. For 3 gun matches where you only need one spare mag I use a Blade Tech single pouch. The leg pouches can be a pain if you have to get in some odd position and it is under you.

Blade Tech Kydex Belt mounted pouch is preferable.

You can mount one or two, or whatever you need.

You can position them wherever you need on your belt to keep them accessible yet not impeding your movement or shooting position.

The thigh mounted set-up limits where you can place your mags and is not as accessible as something on your waist. Thigh rigs make the most sense if your belt is full or your other gear/vest make it impractical to reach your waist.

I don't like soft pouches like Wilderness because you will have difficulty re-holstering a mag into a soft pouch, one-handed. This is especially true for larger mags like an AR10 mag.

Edited by blackstone