Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tungsten Guide Rods in Limited

OttoBon100

I think the tungsten guide rod may be prohibited for Limited and/or Limited 10.  It states in Appendix E of the USPSA Rule Book (14th Edition), US Divisions, under both Limited and Limited 10, at g), that "External devices such as weights or devices to control or reduce recoil are specifically not allowed."  Kind of depends on how you read that sentence to me.  Does the reference to external devices end at "or" then it is referring to all device internal and/or external?  I hadn't heard of the response I saw in another Forum.  "Tungsten rods are allowed but no more than two ounces are allowed to added to the factor weight of a production gun."  True or False?

I can't speak for the USPSA but, grammatically, I think there are two different issues addressed in the subject rule and the comma separates them:

Part 1: External modifications such as weights (comma)

Part 2: or devices to control or reduce recoil .....

However for a definitive answer, you should contact John Amidon .

BTW, the issue of the 2oz over factory weight does not apply to USPSA Limited or L10 (only Production & Revolver).

Amidon addresses this (and other Production questions) on the USPSA website.

http://www.uspsa.org/inside_nroi/opinion_2001_01.html

"5.  The recent FRONT SIGHT article has caused some confusion about the legality of the use of either tungston or stainless steel guide rods. Are these types of guide rods allowable? "

Regarding question five, internal modifications are allowed, however there is a weight restriction of no more than 2 oz over factory specified, so replacing guide rods are allowed as long as these changes do not take it over the weight requirement.

DVC,

John Amidon

May 11, 2001