Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1:24 Barrel Twist

Service Desk

I am contemplating a new PPC semi-auto, probably a 2011 frame with 6" slide. I have a gun with a 1:32 twist barrel and it shoots 115gn bullets pretty good. A friend has recently got a 1:24 twist barrel in an NRA Action Pistol semi-auto and it shoots really nicely, it handles 115gn and 124gn bullets and seems to shoot 147gn equally as well.

Does anyone have any experience with 1:24 barrels and PPC 1911 /2011 guns ?

Edited by Service Desk

I haven't started shooting PPC yet but, I just built a 5" 1911 with a Schuemann Ultimatch barrel with the 1:24" gain twist barreln to use at the Bianchi Cup this year. Even with me fitting the barrel and gun it will easily hold the 4" NRA X-Ring at 50 yards. I was just shooting it yesterday with 115 grain Zero JHP and the only flyers outside of the X-Ring were my fault.

I'm very impressed with this barrel. I don't know who else makes a 1:24" twist but I'm sure all of the big names will be similar.

Chris

It's not used for PPC, but my 1:24 twist barrel shoots incredibly well with 115gr bullets. At 25yds I've shot ten-shot groups that were one ragged hole with regularity. I've only shot it a little bit at 50yds, but from the bit I have done at that distance, I'm certain it would easily hold the X-ring on a PPC target. I do most of my 25yd and longer shooting for groups using only a semi-supported setup...something to stabilize my wrists and ground the magazine basepad, and that's it. I'm sure a solid rest or Ransom Rest would give far better results. Schuemann has a good article on 1911/2011 twist rates:

http://www.schuemann.com/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=N0S0LsAu1RQ%3d&tabid=67&mid=445

• 2 weeks later...

I shoot Schuemann Barrels AET 24" gain twist in all of my guns and they rock! roflol.gif I shoot 115 minor, 124 minor, 147 minor and 124 major loads out of the same 9MM barrel.

Have 50 yard/10 round groups out of my fixture that are at 1" with 4 different rounds.

Also I have had reports from Nick at Mountain Competition Guns of sub 1" groups out of his guns that he builds for his Camp Perry team.

The AET incorporates an concave feed ramp to help loading reliability, finished chambers, chamber flutes to help extraction, varible width lands and the gain twist that help to stablize bullets. The 115 is a undersized bullet and the AET can help correct it's entrance into the free bore.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Mike

Greg,

My metallic gun runs a Schuemann / STI 1:16 and will shoot 125gr into 1" or so at 50. I am certain that a 1:24 will work as well. Had a long chat with Mike at Schuemann concerning bull barrels etc and have decided on Schuemann SKU LU35WNM0 which is http://www.schuemann.com/store/tabid/78/c-746-355-caliber-9mm-38-super.aspx

For Service Match / AP Metallic or PPC I think either 1:16 or 1:24 will work well. Just ensure it is fitted properly.

I was going to use a Lissner, but the one I got will not fit my STI frame so it is destined for the backup / daughters AP gun when we get back from Bianchi.

• 4 years later...

Just recived two 9x19 1/24 barrels to my sig sauer X-six from Ray pulver.

Super accurate barrels that brings the Sig system up to a complete diffrent

level to print small groups on 50m that you only could dream about before.

Edited by ppclinkoping