Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Browning Gold for 3 gun

leewhiskey

I have been researching into a new shotgun lately and been back and forth between m2 and sx3, when it struck my mind to do some searching on the gold, which I already have. I used it a little for some 3 guns and liked it, especially the auto load feature. I had two problems though, it sometimes would not go into battery (previous threads told me that problem, and will help me fix it), and it provided me with a very sore thumb. I did my best to be careful loading, but the large gap allows your thumb way up in there and the blood and sore thumb follows. Will this gun run if the gap is filled in a little by welding on the carrier? It doesn't look like it would be reliable to me, but I figured I'd ask, especially since I know some guys run this gun, either with sore thumbs or some mods done to it. Just in case it matters it is a 3" chamber.

Thanks

A lot of people are upgrading to the Benelli, which IMO is a fine shotgun to upgrade to.. I've seen locals using them with very good results. If you already have a gold, I say use it since that's what I use.. but I'm just a lowly B shooter.. ;) In my case, I use the Gold for EVERYTHING.... Hunting waterfowl and upland game, 3-gunning, skeet, trap, sporting clays, etc.. it is my go to gun for anything under the sun.. I find that it may be a little old and/or inferior for certain applications, but overall I can't get over the fact that it is the only gun (besides the auto-5) that has that speed feed function.. (ok, the new Browning field gun also has it, but it is useless for our sport since you can't increase it's mag capacity past I think 4 rounds). I mounted velcro on the side and use the Black Hawk side saddle on mine.. and actually I use it in the field also for fast follow up shots on game or when I leave the blind sans jacket and need a few extra rounds.. I use the Carlson extended choke tubes since they can be hand tightened and I can quickly tell which choke is on it. I use the Briley extended mag tube and the Wolff +10% hammer spring for a slightly faster locktime. It takes some balancing between the mag tube and the action spring to make the bolt reliably close when you have your 8+1 loaded in the mag tube.

As with anything, to get started, 3-gunning is like pistol, bring what you have and upgrade later if this is something you want to be serious about.