Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gen. #4 Initial Observations

TnBaadBoy

Got my HANDs and EYEs on a Gen #4 pistol for 1st time last night! :surprise:

Before Shotshow 2010, there had been several 'advance' reports on the attributes of this 'new' pistol. Some...UNfortunately....were contradictory. Robert Ray's article from IDPA Tac Journal was but a BRIEF thumnail. For time being? Initially only Models #17 and Models #22 will be available in this configuration (NOT Model 19 as per the article).

INITIAL OBSERVATIONS?

1. Reduced stipling "RTF" (rough texture finish) has been calmed down. Daily wear Policemen were complaining about the 'original' RTF models making spaghetti of their polyester uniform shirts from rubbing. RTF model has been 'abandoned'.

2. Grasping grooves have returned to VERTICAL serrations, versus the RTF experiment of the grooves being angled, sort of in an 'arrow head' appearance.

3. Magazine release button has been ENLARGED, as well as the cut in the frame to handle this new size. From the factory, while the SURFACE AREA is larger, it is NOT as EXTENDED as is standard on models #34/#35, or available after-market.

4. Magazine release button CAN be moved from LEFT to RIGHT side of frame as desired.

5. OLDER magazines WILL work in the Gen #4.....as LONG as you KEEP the magazine release button on the LEFT side of the frame. IF you elect to use the button on the RIGHT side of the frame you MUST use the NEW magazines that come ONLY (so far) with the Gen #4 pistols. They feature yet ANOTHER 'cut' on the LEFT side of the magazine.

So? The OLDER magazines had but ONE cut on the RIGHT side of the magazine; After Glock introduced the 'ambi' safety on the GL-21SF model, they advanced to include the cut in the CENTER face of the magazine in addition to the cut on the RIGHT side; and now (?) ........ They have added a THIRD 'cut' on the LEFT side as well.

I MY opinion? it is VERY 'busy'. I really didn't 'care' for the center cut, much less even MORE interference with the 'tactile' feeling during mag changes.

I'm SURE that tactical reloads (especially into the belt area) WILL be more difficult, with all the nooks and crannies to 'catch' on clothing, etc.

But? The NEW mags will fit ALL present models in the line. Conversely, the OLDER mags will fit the Gen #4 firearm.......again........as LONG as you leave the mag. button configured for Right-Hand shooters, mounted on the LEFT side of the frame.

6. Backstrap has 3 interchangeable panels to better fit the shooter's hand. Glock KEPT the traditional 'swale' on the back of the grip.

7. FRAME is totally different from previous models. To accommodate the LEFT/RIGHT magazine release mechanism the interior of the frame has been modified, and the Ejector housing piece is slightly smaller than previous models. Without modification or 'fitting' the OLDER ejector housing piece will NOT interchange with the NEW frame.

8. SLIDE is totally different from previous models. PORTIONS of the INTERIOR of the Gen #4 slide is much WIDER than Gen #3 models. The track/slide 'rails' of the slide are FLAIRED toward the front of slide, in part to accommodate the LARGER dimension of the 'compound recoil spring' used in the NEW gun. The HOLE to capture to recoil spring is LARGER than older models.

9. RECOIL SPRING. Due to the interior DIMENSIONS differences, the OLDER springs can NOT be used with the new models......and NEW compound spring can NOT be used on OLDER guns. So? THAT answers the question about swapping a NEW spring into an older gun, etc. Apprently NOT possible.

10. GUIDE ROD. I could be wrong, but.....I could detect but ONLY ONE piece fitting against the lug of barrel being made of metal. The balance of the rod appears to remain a PLASTIC piece.

OPINION?

For time being ...... with the EXCEPTION of the PLUSES of the increased stipling and modular back strap panels .... I'm VERY HAPPY to stick with the older models, which allowing MUCH more 'flexibility' in exchanging parts with virtually ANY of the other older models. At present? Gen #4 slides and/or frames can be exchanged ONLY with other Gen #4 models.

Regarding the most recent ruling from IDPA headquarters concerning 'allowing' STI recoil master and new Glock Gen. #4 spring? Perhaps 'genius' in wordsmithing. Wording the newest 'ruling' by limiting the modification to 'compound spring' configurations only .... MAY end the controversy concerning NON-compound spring guns. It appears to me (at least with the new Glock) the guide rods and springs are NOT interchangeable from the NEW gun to OLDER guns because of DIMENSIONAL limitations and differences.

Since the new ruling, there has been a 'firestorm' of controversy & speculation on IDPA forums concerning the 'potential' of metal guiderod replacements for ALL divisions.

The existing Sprinco replacement was NOT specifically named in the ruling. At a MINIMUM there may be 'delays' in other rulings until it is all 'sorted out'. I'm SURE there will be more notices on THIS issue shortly.

And so? It goes............

Cheers from Memphis...... :cheers:

...I'm VERY HAPPY to stick with the older models, which allowing MUCH more 'flexibility' in exchanging parts with virtually ANY of the other older models. At present? Gen #4 slides and/or frames can be exchanged ONLY with other Gen #4 models.

My thoughts exactly...

...I'm VERY HAPPY to stick with the older models, which allowing MUCH more 'flexibility' in exchanging parts with virtually ANY of the other older models. At present? Gen #4 slides and/or frames can be exchanged ONLY with other Gen #4 models.

My thoughts exactly...

Exactly why Gen 3 guns will remain in production...

Interesting, would be fun to do a side by side test before I rush down to trade in my old 17. Thanks

I'm doing that tomorrow morning with a Gen 3 17 and 22 and a Gen 4 17 and 22. I'll let you know what happens. I've shot both the 22 and 17 Gen 4's before. I like them but I haven't had a chance to do a side by side yet.

Interesting, would be fun to do a side by side test before I rush down to trade in my old 17. Thanks

I'm doing that tomorrow morning with a Gen 3 17 and 22 and a Gen 4 17 and 22. I'll let you know what happens. I've shot both the 22 and 17 Gen 4's before. I like them but I haven't had a chance to do a side by side yet.

Cool - please let us know - preferably in a stand-alone (new) thread.