Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Match Fees

Gun Geek

Gun Geek:

We started last year and had the same questions. Here is what I decided on. It is nice to have a low entry fee but if you have no money for props, targets, and range up keep what good is a low fee? We already have a large Gun Club so the expenses of shooting IDPA came from the general fund but I had to be able to make enough money to keep it going. We charge 15.00 for a club member and 20.00 for a nonclub member. We have made little money for the club but we make enough to keep going and buy new stands, props, and what ever else we need along the way.

Since when is GSSF 'Running Gun'? You don't even draw from the holster... and you certainly don't run...

The average fee in Southern California is around $18 for 6 stages. The low is $13 for 8 stages, and the high is $22 for 5 stages. It also depends on whether or not you discount for set-up help. The clubs vary from low round count straight IDPA stages to USPSA lite, more rounds, and more satisfying...

You should look into liability insurance before you sign up with IDPA as a club, and declare yourself a match director. You need someone who is certified as a SO also.

9x45:

Your're right, GSSF doesn't strictly fit the run-n-gun mode. However, it is not slow fire for group size (ever seen a Bullseye guy do a double tap?) or transition between 6 or 8 targets?

My comment about the different style was meant to convey that I don't have a negative attitude toward those types of sports, and likewise don't want a negative attitude toward these other newer sports. Personally, I really like sporting clays and skeet. Fact is at our club (and I think at many others) the action shooting sports are bringing many more new shooters than the traditional sports. I think this a by product of the movement of people from the country to the city. The traditional sports grew from hunting (food for survival) these newer sports are growing from need for self defense. OK, now we have some serious drift ;)

I have some feelers out with IDPA and the NRA on insurance. If you have any suggestions for other sources, I'd love to hear it.

2 of 4 members of our board (myself and our Match Director) are certified IDPA SOs. IDPA requires at least one SO to sign the entry paper.

I'm beginning to see the issue of keeping the round count up as important. Thanks everyone for continuing to reinforce that.

kdmoore

Thanks for all the input. Your idea of a trip to the NRA range is interesting. I've got something over 1,000,000 frequent Flyer miles that probably should be used for a good purpose. I'm also about to get a pilot's license, so DC would be a good trip - though I'd hate to have to dodge F16's.

Geek