Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

550 Trouble

Ok guys I have loaded about 500 rounds on my 550. All of the sudden I have noticed my primers are being dented in during loading...

I am using Win primers so they are not soft. This has IMO caused some FTF's... The rounds that failed have a nice firing pin dent with the dented primers caused bye the 550. The dented ones are the only ones that FTF!

What can I do to correct this?

500 rounds is too early to have gunk built up on the post that seats the primer, but keep an eye out for trash that may fall into the primer cup and cause that type of deformation. After loading, I try to sort out those that may have some sort of crease or dent in the primer, but none of them have even failed to fire.

I would check your primer seater cup for a piece of brass shaved off from primer removal or a piece of powder that may have landed on the primer seater punch. I have had pieces of brass shavings come off of casings when they are deprimed. They look like little crescent moon shavings. These will often times fall near the primer seater and fall in so that they are between the primer seater stem and your new primer.

Randy

Of the aformentioned likely problems, neither will cause the FTF.

That MAY be caused by the primer not being seated sufficiently or crap in the flash hole. Ensure that you are not depriming before you tumble your brass. Ensre that you get all the media out of the case before you resize.

Just keep an eye on some of the little things just in case there is something that is not being done just right.

Get someone who is familiar with the 550 to run over what you are doing in case you are missing something in the newness of the machine.

Just check your primer punch now and then. most times it's media that falls in the primer punch and can stay there for several rounds.

I shoot alot of revolver so I'm always checking to see that the primers are seating deep enough and often catch the media in the primer punch that way.

Ok guys I have loaded about 500 rounds on my 550. All of the sudden I have noticed my primers are being dented in during loading...

I am using Win primers so they are not soft. This has IMO caused some FTF's... The rounds that failed have a nice firing pin dent with the dented primers caused bye the 550. The dented ones are the only ones that FTF!

What can I do to correct this?

I had the same problem with dented primers, to the point that I thought my 550 left the old spent primer in there :closedeyes:

You need to check periodically that gunk is not accumulating over the primer seater, which can happen pretty frequently with all the stuff that pops off during the de-priming phase.