Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Opinion about load data

Wanted

I'm looking at loading .223 55 gr. Sp. with H335. My Hornady 7th list's this load max 23.4 I think. I don't have the info with me. Hodgdon has a max at 25.3. Same COL 2.200 My speer and loadbook has everything from 24.0-26.0 (some don't give COL) This seems a big difference. Any thoughts?

The best advice is to start 5-10% lower than the highest max load and work up to the targeted velocity. Quite a few of us run loads that are a grain or two above listed max's but we have made sure they are safe in our guns and the pressure signs are acceptable to us. Each chamber/bore is different so if you are going to go over max you have to work it up in that gun.

I understand there is a big difference when you fiqure in bullet shape, coefficients, and other aspects. But the diff. between Hornady and Hodgdon..wow.

It's only two grains and I would guess it has to do with the bearing surface difference of the projectile they measured with.

That just increases the importance of realizing that the load you work up with the components you use is pretty specific to you and your equipment. Any use of other folks' loads should be done with caution and care.

Good luck.