Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading the 5.7 for 3 Gun

Since the 5.7 is now legal pistol fodder in some 3 Gun matches, has anyone reloaded it and if so, to what success? Dillon feels it is too difficult to safely reload so will not support it with dies etc.

Post from Facebook by Dillon regarding the 5.7.

Dillon will not support the 5.7 FN cartridge for a couple of reasons. First, the case head is very tiny, almost the same as 25ACP. It would require a different platform and primer slide in order to reliably prime. The other issue is it is NOT an easy case to reload. The firearms for this cartridge are a straight blowback design, not a locked breech... See more. As a consequence, the bolt is moving rearward before the bullet exits the barrel. A consequence of this is the shoulder moves forward .090"-.100" when the case is fired. This requires excess resizing of the case, and often leads to headspace problems, and unsafe brass. This is a cartridge we feel is not safe to reload, and therefore will not support it.

Curious how many actually intend on using it other than maybe factory sponsored shooters.

Craig

I doubt more than one or two are shooting it for three gun. And those won't be factory sponsored shooters. They're probably just people that already have the guns and want to shoot them. 5.7 is a horrible round for three gun. Fine on paper but crazy low PF when it comes to trying to knock steel over. If it was my only pistol, I'd probably shoot it for three gun, if I couldn't borrow a gun from someone else.

As far as reloading, I'm sticking with the Dillon folks on that one. New ammo only for me.

I'm not even sure if the 5.7 will make minor power factor for USPSA.....and not sure how the rules are written, but does it say .223rem/5.56mm nato as a cartidge (min size) or bullet size?

The 5.7 is allowed for pistol only, not rifle. Be pretty tough on those 400 yd targets. ;) I think the attraction of this caliber in a pistol is the ability of having 30 rd mags. Personally, my 9mm Para with 23 rd mags has worked fine for me so far. I don't see any reason to change, especially at the cost of factory ammo.

Craig

hmmmm.....I'm thinking that for pistol, it is pretty clear anywhere that the dia of the bullet is 9mm minimum. I could be wrong, but I would not want to be a RO next to a guy shooting the 5.7 at steel 30 feet away. Already seen what happens when a 38 super jacket bounces back and hits flesh.

hmmmm.....I'm thinking that for pistol, it is pretty clear anywhere that the dia of the bullet is 9mm minimum. I could be wrong, but I would not want to be a RO next to a guy shooting the 5.7 at steel 30 feet away. Already seen what happens when a 38 super jacket bounces back and hits flesh.

As far as I know, only the LaRue and FNH matches have OKed the 5.7 so far. There may be others. I haven't shot it in a pistol, only the P90. I think they splatter pretty easily on steel so hopefully bounce back won't be an issue.

Guess we will see for ourselves at Fayette in May.

Craig

The 30rd mags would be cool until you come up on a Texas star and cannot knock a single plate off of it.

Probably depends on distance and whose star it is. I have shot some that were tough

to knock off with birdshot and IC and some that an edge hit with a 9mm flip right off. I have started making use of my modified choke since I insist on using Walmart ammo. And aiming better. :closedeyes:

Craig

OK here is the skinny on the 5.7 after testing it.......steel must be set really light to fall for the 27 grain bullet and the 40 grain does a little better. Steel set to fall with 9mm minor, i had to double the steel and then had to shoot it high. If there was only paper in the match heck yea i would shoot the 5.7 as it is the flattest and fastest non-compensated gun i have ever shot. Yes the 30 round mags would help....however I am using the 5.7 in the PPC matches and 9mm for three gun.

Hope that helps,

Larry

Team FN

Thanks for the feedback, Larry. Figured you would know ;)

I didn't know PPC would allow that small of a caliber. Probably would make it nice with the POA/POI the same for 10-50

yard hold.

Guess you will make it to Fayette in May now that you joined FN. Hope to see you.

Craig

Yep....will be there for the FN match and back in MO for the July TPC in Stockton.

I will be at both also. Have to miss the TPC in Albuquerque this year as it's the same time

as the Adams Arms Ozarks 3 Gun. Enjoyed the NM match even though my rifle going TU on one

stage killed me in the overall standings.

Craig