Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Replacing my Comp need recommendations

CocoBolo

My old STI Briley Presidente needs a new cone comp, the current one is loooooose in the slide. The current is a EGW 7 port and the gun is snappy when compared to other guns running the same load. This is a full size gun with a slide weight of 10oz, with no poppel holes. Loads 10.2gr of N105 or 10.2gr of AA#7 with 124gr 38 Super Comp. I know a 115 might work better just got 10k of 125's to shoot up.

If your gun is similiar and it shoots flat and soft tell me about your comp, also mention the powder you prefer.

I know this can be done I have shot a similar guns without poppel holes running the old Dawson 4 port that is discontinued now. The difference in that gun and mine was huge. I have also shot a Benny gun with two poppel holes and that difference was huge as well but about the same as the old Dawson equipped gun, albiet the Benny was much lighter gun. Maybe Benny will chime in.

I also have an Old Competitor with a 10.5 oz slide that is way snapp as well that probably needs a little comp switch to get more shootable. Its a bull with screw on.

Acutally I exchanged email with Gary on the comps but he just seemed very non-commital about making a recommendeation. I have a Brazos Thunder Comp, just don't know that it is worth a try without the abnoxious poppel holes that a Brazos gun has.

The Brazos comp is a very effective compensator, and is relatively lightweight, as well. It works well either way, with or without ports. In fact, Bob's building my new gun w/o ports (though they may be added later, based on live comparison to a gun with ports... I don't care about concussion - I care about absolute performance, so...)

I use the one piece barrel/comp from Brazos, with no popple holes. Works just fine. I think flat and soft is a little over rated. They are all pretty good but it becomes a "shades of white" difference as you decide which one and I did not see any important difference in holes to no holes so I don't have them on my current gun.

Pick one, don't change anything and practice.

Edited by BSeevers

I use the one piece barrel/comp from Brazos, with no popple holes. Works just fine. I think flat and soft is a little over rated. They all are pretty good but it becomes a "shades of white" difference and I did not see any important difference in holes to no holes so I don't have them on my current gun.

Soft I think is definately over rated, flat well I don't like somethings flat like my women but in my gun ok I'd like that. Youv'e got a TruBore that Bob cut his comp into as a blank. The advantage there is a little weight savings and possibly the bore of the comp is good and tight. I had a V8 Gold Team nice shooter but the crap from the holes hitting you in the face just gets old fast. I already got more craters than the moon so I sold it.

I'm going to add you as a +1 for the Brazos Thunder Comp SX. I have one but before I go to the expense of fitting it I'd like some input that says OOOOH Yeah the mofo rocks or words to that effect.

The Bedell and the EGW 7 port are twins right?

I use the one piece barrel/comp from Brazos, with no popple holes. Works just fine. I think flat and soft is a little over rated. They all are pretty good but it becomes a "shades of white" difference and I did not see any important difference in holes to no holes so I don't have them on my current gun.

Soft I think is definately over rated, flat well I don't like somethings flat like my women but in my gun ok I'd like that. Youv'e got a TruBore that Bob cut his comp into as a blank. The advantage there is a little weight savings and possibly the bore of the comp is good and tight. I had a V8 Gold Team nice shooter but the crap from the holes hitting you in the face just gets old fast. I already got more craters than the moon so I sold it.

I'm going to add you as a +1 for the Brazos Thunder Comp SX. I have one but before I go to the expense of fitting it I'd like some input that says OOOOH Yeah the mofo rocks or words to that effect.

The Bedell and the EGW 7 port are twins right?

I believe KC and Travis uses the same long comp on their open.

so there you go. They never changed their set up except for KC. But then KC

always goes back to his gun set up on Caspian for both steel challenge and IPSC.

Edited by shooterbenedetto