Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I love it when a new Open gun works right out of the box!

38supPat

I just spec`d out and had a new Open gun built. Well the bottom was my old SVI IMM frame, but I had the new top built and it works great!

Ya,ya, I`ll get to the photo`s in a bit, but it`s a working gun so looks aren`t as important to me...just look at he gun I shot this year!

Area7182.jpg

The new top consists of a Caspian slide, EGW internals, Aftec extractor, Schuemann hybrid ribbed barrel with two holes, and Millenium Custom comp. I ran a little over a hundred rounds through it and although the spring was a bit heavy (10#) and the temp kinda low for a Slide Glide lubed gun (good advertising for Slide Glide Lite though, temp was -16C or 3F and the gun ran flawless. It's softer than my current gun and the dot tracks straighter. There was an issue with the brass just barely getting out of the gun, it didn't jam but most of the brass fell at my feet. The gun was dipping quite a bit at first, but when I relaxed it would lift and settle perfectly, I'll have to drop the spring rate then do some timing drills.

I'm going to shoot it at a USPSA match tomorrow and we'll see how it goes!

With a temperature that low I'd recommend cutting Slide Glide Lite with a little oil. Your smith made sure the gun worked before it left his shop where a 10# spring worked. I've had SG Lite stop a 1911 from cycling with a 16# spring.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I am new to the forum and do not usually respond or post much but this thread is close to my heart. I do have to agree with you, I have shot over 20 different guns and all but two of them have given me one problem or another until they were fully broken in. I got one of Matt Burkett's Predator Tactical Banshee Open guns. Wow... I now have over 1200 rounds through it without even so much as a hiccup. It is probably the best gun I have ever shot. When Matt say his gear is going to work, he is serious.