Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Truck Bed storage ideas for the Range...

Recently got a new Tundra and am trying to figure out how to best set up the bed for transporting steel targets, ammo, range age, etc, to the range.  Would ideally like to keep most of my range set up in the bed of the truck and would not be storing firearms other than transporting to the range.  Have seen some nice sliding drawer options, but they are big bucks... also thinking about making my own version of a sliding bed drawer system.

But thought I would see what ideas/suggestions the hive has..

Thanks in advance.

I bought a new truck several months ago.  I put in one of those carpet style liners to protect the bed and keep stuff from sliding around so much.  Thanks to the folding cover, I leave everything except the guns in the truck all the time.  When headed to a range, the guns ride under the back seat.

A while back I thought about a sliding drawer system.  Looked at a friend's (in a Surburban) and decided against it.  Takes up too much room, hard to remove if needed, and way too expensive.

• 1 month later...
On 4/10/2018 at 11:30 AM, Chris777 said:

Recently got a new Tundra and am trying to figure out how to best set up the bed for transporting steel targets, ammo, range age, etc, to the range.  Would ideally like to keep most of my range set up in the bed of the truck and would not be storing firearms other than transporting to the range.  Have seen some nice sliding drawer options, but they are big bucks... also thinking about making my own version of a sliding bed drawer system.

But thought I would see what ideas/suggestions the hive has..

Thanks in advance.

Probably the best setup I have seen was just system of boxes built using heavy duty wood.  One box held steel stands, another the targets, another held range bags, etc.  Cheap, light, efficient.  Not the prettiest but it worked.  You could cover part or all of it in carpet to keep noise down.

I want to get an enclosed trailer to store my range gear in. That way I don’t have to carry all that extra weight in my truck while doing non-shooting activities, plus it will save me some fuel. 

I like simple, and easily removed.

There should be slots in your bedsides to drop boards in to make bulkheads, do that so stuff doesn't migrate fore and aft. You could notch the bulkhead to "hook" target stand bases and other larger items so they can be reached with ease.

If you're not packing too many hundreds of pounds of steel I'd keep it and ammo cans pinned against the tailgate.

If you carry your paper target stands broke down a big piece of PVC will keep a dozen or more sticks from wandering.

Slide outs seem handy, but I'd probably over engineer it into something that could support 2k on end or forever worry it'd give out.

Edited by Beef15

• 2 months later...