Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mag tuning

Bench

In the ever ongoing saga of trying to get my Remington RP9 running the way it should I've found that the mag lips are vastly different measurements from mag to mag (2).

1.) Any special tool suggestion for lip adjustments both in (for now)and out (for later needs)? I'm thinking that flat nose, smooth jaw pliers will PROBABLY work. Any other suggestions?

2.) Any suggestions on material or process to get the slop out of the mag well? I'm mostly looking at getting the slop out fore and aft. Side to side doesn't seem to matter thus far. I"m think of padding up a bench vise and nudging the mag from side to side and maybe get a smidge in the right direction.

Edited by Bench
More specific info added.

39 minutes ago, promtcy said:

Look up Satco chain pliers. If you need to make them more narrow a small mallet or hammer will work. Have you checked out Atlas Gun Works on youtube?

Thanks promtcy, just for grins I rummaged through my collection of pliers and found a pair of parallel flat nose and gave it a try. Worked like a champ. From what I remember from my jeweler days chain nose pliers are pretty similar except not parallel. I started this thread as a response to one of the Atlas videos but he uses the Dawson $100 kit for tuning. Also that's where I got the idea for nudging the tube with a vise. Thanks!!

25 minutes ago, usmc90 said:

There is a great video on YouTube from Hayes Custom on mag tuning 

I haven't seen that one yet but on my way there shortly. Thanks umc90.