Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help with load for Acme 124 gr. RN coated, using be + tg

JDMahan

My son has just started shooting steel challenge, and wants me to reload for him (i know, but at least he'll shoot with me).

Anyway, I've been reloading .45 for bullseye for years, on a Dillon 550. But I've never loaded 9mm.

Picked up some Acme 124g RN to try out. I have jugs of Bullseye, and a fair amount of Titegroup, so I would appreciate suggestion using those.

Or if those powders won't work, what do you suggest. Looking for as light as we can go and still have reliable function (in a Range Officer 9mm)

He did already buy me a new tool head, dies, and conversion kit?, so there's that.

Thanks

Thanks, I'll load up a few in that range and check for function, and then nudge it up and down to fine tune accuracy.

I've never loaded the coated bullets before, but I assume (I know, always a dangerous thing) I won't get into trouble if I use data for cast of the same weight.

I feel like a rookie, even though I've been reloading forever. I only loaded three .45 loads; one for 25yds, one for 50, and using titegroup for indoors.

Thanks again for the help.

4 hours ago, JDMahan said:

Isn't 1.06 pretty short?

I put together some dummy rounds today at 1.12, and they passed the 'plunk test, and Fed ok by hand cycling.

I should have mentioned these are the new profile.

3.6-3.8 at your length, as long as your load passes the plunk test your good to go 

6 hours ago, JDMahan said:

Isn't 1.06 pretty short?

I put together some dummy rounds today at 1.12, and they passed the 'plunk test, and Fed ok by hand cycling.

I should have mentioned these are the new profile.

Thats why I mentioned using the old style, not sure what you are using. From what i have read and seen so far 1.12 is a good place to start with the new profile ( I have a bunch of the old ones to use up before I try those out).

Ok, home from the Range. I had loaded 10 each of 3.5, 3.6, and 3.7 of tg, all at 1.12 oal

3.5 functioned barely, failed to lockback, empties dribbled out on my arm.

3.6 was better, positive ejection and function.

3.7 the group really tightened up, felt very mild, perfect function. Empties landed in a nice pile just behind and right of my shoulder.

Only 10 shots, but very encouraging. Based on this I'll load up a enough of the 3.7 to seriously test for accuracy. Maybe it really is that easy...

Thanks to everyone for the help, I'm sure you saved me lots of time and grief.  I really appreciate it.

Edited by JDMahan
Typos

Hey, you're close to me, I'm in Highlands Ranch.

I don't think I could discern a .02g difference on my beam scale; I usually throw 10 and average.

After working up (3 8 & 3.9), and down, 3.6, I think I've settled on 3.7, 1.12oal.

Runs perfect, and very accurate. As a bonus, my 2 hks really likes this load too.

Thanks for the input.