Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Light strikes with Grand Power X-Cal

muncie21

I've been getting intermittent light strikes on both factory and reloads.  Most of the time it occurs when using double-action.  When this happens, 90% of the time a second pull (again DA) is all that's needed to light it off.  I've had one or two rounds that would only fire when I pulled the trigger in SA.

Took the gun apart, cleaned everything, replaced all springs with factory units and oiled it back up.  Still getting occasional (1 in 50 or so) light strikes.  I'm going to take a close look at the hammer and firing mechanism to see if there are any burrs or places where the hammer could drag.

Any other thoughts on what could be causing this?

Thanks for the suggestion, however it's definately the pistol.  It was happening on both factory and reloads.  One round I dropped the hammer (DA) on 3 or 4 times...nothing.  Pulled back the hammer and dropped it SA- boom.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/1/2017 at 4:29 PM, muncie21 said:

Thanks for the suggestion, however it's definately the pistol.  It was happening on both factory and reloads.  One round I dropped the hammer (DA) on 3 or 4 times...nothing.  Pulled back the hammer and dropped it SA- boom.

That scenario you describe is typical of an unseated primer. It could still be the gun, too.

(Not a GP owner - generic suggestions)

I'd look ay the firing pin for damage. Rounded tip, indication of rubbing, burrs, etc. I'd polish it too.

Then a close inspection of the firing pin channel and the hole in the breech face. Make sure it's all clean and free of fouling / oil. I'd polish it too.

Then check the slide / frame / barrel to ensure it is easily moving and locking up. If it is just a wee bit out of full lock, it FP may not be reaching the primer.

Oh, and put a straight edge against the bottom of the cases to ensure there is depth of the primers.  I'd plunk test a couple hundred rounds to ensure there are no odd balls. Then go test. Even factory ammo can be fubar.

• 1 month later...

Loaded up some rounds with CCI primers (normally I use S&B) and tested them today.  100 of 100 fired with no issue. 

Going to run a side-by-side test with CCI reloads, wolf factory and S&B reloads to confirm the S&B and Wolf primers were the culprit.