Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Load using Bayou 120gr TCG bullet

EricPoole

I just purchased a case of the new Bayou 120gr TCG HiTek coated bullets.  Has anyone loaded them?  If so, what OAL works for you?  I'm using WSF Powder.  Load data using the 120gr TCG is scarce to non-existent.  If you can recommend a good knockdown steel load that uses WSF, pls let me know.  Many thanks, Eric

I've loaded the 124gr Bayou TC bullets and the 122gr Acme TC bullets that have almost the same profile as the new Bayou 120 gr TC bullets. The Bayou 120 gr/Acme 122 gr bullets may need to be loaded a little shorter due to the squatter profile. 

I've loaded the Acme 122gr bullet as short as 1.025 OAL with 3.6gr WSF with no issues or pressure signs in 9mm Glocks. At that OAL, there's about 1/16" of bearing surface visible above the case mouth. It's a very soft shooting, consistent load. Definitely below minor PF. I can load out as far as 1.065 OAL before the rounds fail to plunk and spin 100% consistently. 

On the high end, I've used the same Acme 122gr bullet with 5.0 - 5.2gr WSF at 1.025 and 1.045 OAL in a compensated 9mm Glock with no issues as well. 

13 hours ago, EricPoole said:

I just purchased a case of the new Bayou 120gr TCG HiTek coated bullets.  Has anyone loaded them?  If so, what OAL works for you?  I'm using WSF Powder.  Load data using the 120gr TCG is scarce to non-existent.  If you can recommend a good knockdown steel load that uses WSF, pls let me know.  Many thanks, Eric

What gun?

10 hours ago, Onepocket said:

What gun?

Main gun is S&W M&P Core with red dot.  But, I will also be shooting the ammo in Springfield 1911 RO, Glock 19 & 34, and Springfield XD & XDM Competition 5.25.  I tested a ladder today and was happy with group at 12 yards using 4.4gr WSF and OAL of 1.10".   Have not chronoed that load yet or shot at longer distances.

11 hours ago, blackhand said:

I've loaded the 124gr Bayou TC bullets and the 122gr Acme TC bullets that have almost the same profile as the new Bayou 120 gr TC bullets. The Bayou 120 gr/Acme 122 gr bullets may need to be loaded a little shorter due to the squatter profile. 

I've loaded the Acme 122gr bullet as short as 1.025 OAL with 3.6gr WSF with no issues or pressure signs in 9mm Glocks. At that OAL, there's about 1/16" of bearing surface visible above the case mouth. It's a very soft shooting, consistent load. Definitely below minor PF. I can load out as far as 1.065 OAL before the rounds fail to plunk and spin 100% consistently. 

On the high end, I've used the same Acme 122gr bullet with 5.0 - 5.2gr WSF at 1.025 and 1.045 OAL in a compensated 9mm Glock with no issues as well. 

Thanks, I might try 3.6, 3.8, and 4.0 and see what happens.

10 hours ago, EricPoole said:

Main gun is S&W M&P Core with red dot.  But, I will also be shooting the ammo in Springfield 1911 RO, Glock 19 & 34, and Springfield XD & XDM Competition 5.25.  I tested a ladder today and was happy with group at 12 yards using 4.4gr WSF and OAL of 1.10".   Have not chronoed that load yet or shot at longer distances.

I recently purchased a ransom rest to test my rounds.  I am a USPSA production shooter that shoots a glock 34.  1.06 is the OAL you want in a glock,(with the 120 bayou) with a KKM barrel giving you the best groups. 130 to 135 PF. Each type of gun has an OAL and fps that it likes. 

122 coated 1.030 oal was the oal that produced the  best accuracy at 25 yds was with 4.2 WSF 131 pf.  Best accuracy at 50 yd 1.030 oal 3.6 TG 130 pf.  Shot out of springfield 5 and 6 inch 1911's.  Also shot the same loads out of 5.25 xdm and the loads produced the same pf as the springfield 1911's.  Groups out of the springfields were just over 2 inches at 50 and 1 inch at 25 yds.  The xdm groups were slightly larger but not by much.  The tg load was a lot more smokey than the wsf load.  I prefer the wsf load, less smoke and accurate.

10 hours ago, Onepocket said:

I recently purchased a ransom rest to test my rounds.  I am a USPSA production shooter that shoots a glock 34.  1.06 is the OAL you want in a glock,(with the 120 bayou) with a KKM barrel giving you the best groups. 130 to 135 PF. Each type of gun has an OAL and fps that it likes. 

Thanks very much.  Eric

9 hours ago, Paul4895 said:

122 coated 1.030 oal was the oal that produced the  best accuracy at 25 yds was with 4.2 WSF 131 pf.  Best accuracy at 50 yd 1.030 oal 3.6 TG 130 pf.  Shot out of springfield 5 and 6 inch 1911's.  Also shot the same loads out of 5.25 xdm and the loads produced the same pf as the springfield 1911's.  Groups out of the springfields were just over 2 inches at 50 and 1 inch at 25 yds.  The xdm groups were slightly larger but not by much.  The tg load was a lot more smokey than the wsf load.  I prefer the wsf load, less smoke and accurate.

Many thanks.  Will load a few shortly to try tomorrow!  Eric