Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pen foster smithing coarse

Iaddrummer

I would like to find out more about that class also, let us know if you go forward with it. On the AGI video course, I did get some of those and they were okay from a broad overview of basics but just wasn't overly impressed for what I was looking to learn. The AGI does have it's niche, just not for me though.

Are you looking for general gunsmithing or specialized?  General gunsmithing seems to take the avenue of attending one of the various schools for a multi-year program.

As I understand it, the general full AGI gunsmithing course comes from what was originally one of the college courses and the intent to preserve it since the instructor was retiring.  It may be that the Penn Foster is similar though offered online instead of DVD.

Specialized courses may be either DVD stuff like from AGI (build a Limited pistol or such), or attend some of the week long courses offered by several, such as that from Cylinder & Slide.  While this costs a week plus the course fee and tools, you are left with the tools, and the gun you build after the fact.  It's an intense week though.

I believe the NRA or other groups have also offered spot type courses such as that from Cylinder & Slide, or even more specialized such as trigger jobs.  So, how good or bad, or suitable, a particular course is, depends greatly on what you are looking for.

I thought the Penn Foster course description could be better as it seems broad when reading it.  It may be a great course, but hard to tell.  The various colleges offering on-campus gunsmithing courses generally have good reputations, but require years of investment.  Or you get with a gunsmith and apprentice to him/her, but this is also a long haul.

I have only done the specialized courses from Cylinder & Slide, Nowlin and Shuey, with each having it's own perspective (all on 1811's).  I've not taken the full AGI course, but Shuey has done some of the specialized videos for them, such as the Limited gun build mentioned, and I've met several of hte other smiths doing videos for them and they seem to be a most accomplished group with respect to their abilities.  Videos or online will always have some limitations compared to hands on with an instructor looking over your shoulder.

Guy

If you have a good local library, look for books.

My small town has lots of gunsmithing books. A video or two about trigger jobs and fitting a safety is a good start. 

If it's not for a business you can learn on your own. Lots on the internet. 

But if you have the cash, a fast course on building a gun would be great too.