Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Deciding on Sp01 vs Sp01 Tactical

DementedAntics

1 hour ago, Polymer said:

Use the roll method to decock. Practice it. You won't have an issue like you think.

If you can't afford a shadow now, keep waiting, save up. Just shoot what you have now. It's most likely not holding you back. Buy once. Having owned nearly every variant, shadow is the way to go. 

I use my left index finger and roll it out. Same thing and it works great.

4 hours ago, GeneBray said:

Your question centered on SP01 or Tactical variant and concerns over manual decocking.  I had the same concerns 7-8 years ago when I began shooting Production division.  I purchased the SP01 and do not regret, in the least, the decision.  I was paranoid for sometime over lowering the hammer.  I picked "pinch, pull, and lower" as opposed to "finger roll".  Learned how to do the technique, and do it slowly, deliberately, and exactly the same way each and every time I lower the hammer.  Never a problem.  Nearly eight years later, I do the technique the same way -- slowly and deliberately with my focus on the task and my mind not wandering.  

After working more Production nationals, local matches, and Level II matches than I can remember, I have never seen anyone have an AD on the MR command and using a DA/SA pistol.  Virtually 100% certain some have occurred sometime just none that I've seen and I've seen a lot of CZ Production shooters. 

Trigger in the DA/SA will be slightly better than a tactical.  But, is the difference functionally different enough that one pistol is better for competition than the other?   That discussion won't be resolved no matter how many cases of beer are consumed while beating it to death.  ;-)

Either will work.  If you are an occasional shooter and do not dry fire a lot, then the maybe the tactical is a better choice.  If you are a serious shooter who is trying to be the best you can, then maybe the DA/SA is the best choice

I suspect in reality there is no wrong decision here.

Did you mean to say Manual safety if your a serious shooter?

Also in response to the price difference. Right now the Sp01 and the Sp01 tactical are the same price. If that makes any difference. 

Did you mean to say Manual safety if your a serious shooter?

Also in response to the price difference. Right now the Sp01 and the Sp01 tactical are the same price. If that makes any difference. 

Yes on manual safety in serious shooter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you find the quality of the trigger pull different? I know they are harder to work on, which you will probably be doing if you are a serious shooter, but can't think of why the handling would be any different

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Based on all the replies I'm going to go with an Sp01 at this time and shoot it as is with maybe a few upgrades. As many have stated there are many great shooters utilizing a standard Sp01 and it works for my current budget. I appreciate all the help and knowledge people have given to make the choice an easier and more informed one ??. Time to join the CZ "master race". 

17 hours ago, muncie21 said:

I have a SP01 tactical (safety model) and Shadow 2.  If you are a Product class B (or under) shooter, I doubt the nicer trigger on the Shadow 2 will provide much of an advantage.

Now lets look at pricing (new) for a second.  A SP01 will run ~$650 and the Shadow 2 around $1,200.  Depending upon the upgrades to the SP01, you'll eat into that $550 savings quickly.  The full-on Cajun competition package is ~$400 in house or $300 if you do it yourself and this does not include the 10x bushing, which IMO is one of the best upgrades for the SP01.  BTW, if you are installing the bushing, you might was well get a FO front site too, as you'll need to remove the front site pin to install the bushing.

If you only intend to install a few upgrades on the SP01, the lower cost makes sense.  If you're planning to go the full-Monty with the SP01, I think it makes more sense to get the Shadow 2; keep in mind there's not a lot to change with the Shadow 2.  You can basically run this out of the box.

Just going to do a few mods nothing crazy at this point. 

12 hours ago, GeneBray said:

Your question centered on SP01 or Tactical variant and concerns over manual decocking.  I had the same concerns 7-8 years ago when I began shooting Production division.  I purchased the SP01 and do not regret, in the least, the decision.  I was paranoid for sometime over lowering the hammer.  I picked "pinch, pull, and lower" as opposed to "finger roll".  Learned how to do the technique, and do it slowly, deliberately, and exactly the same way each and every time I lower the hammer.  Never a problem.  Nearly eight years later, I do the technique the same way -- slowly and deliberately with my focus on the task and my mind not wandering.  

After working more Production nationals, local matches, and Level II matches than I can remember, I have never seen anyone have an AD on the MR command and using a DA/SA pistol.  Virtually 100% certain some have occurred sometime just none that I've seen and I've seen a lot of CZ Production shooters. 

Trigger in the DA/SA will be slightly better than a tactical.  But, is the difference functionally different enough that one pistol is better for competition than the other?   That discussion won't be resolved no matter how many cases of beer are consumed while beating it to death.  ;-)

Either will work.  If you are an occasional shooter and do not dry fire a lot, then the maybe the tactical is a better choice.  If you are a serious shooter who is trying to be the best you can, then maybe the DA/SA is the best choice. 

I suspect in reality there is no wrong decision here.

Went witht the manual safety. 

12 hours ago, Ken6PPC said:

Gene is right...  There ARE no wrong decisions, and we got you sidetracked on the Shadow discussion.  

I wouldn't worry about lowering the hammer.  It is easily done, and is only likely to be a problem if you aren't paying attention to what you are doing. 

And, if you aren't paying attention, you probably shouldn't be shooting anyway!  

Buy what you want!  You are likely to change your mind many times over, and that just leads to...  MORE GUNS!  LOL!  

Thanks. You guys have me less worried about the safety of lowering the hammer manually!

10 hours ago, himurax13 said:

I have seen several good production shooters using a standard SP01. The differences between a nicely modded SP01 and a nicely modded SP01 Shadow are difficult for most people to notice. At speed, I doubt most shooters could tell the difference. 

Since we do not reholster on the clock, take your time when manually decocking.

Thanks for the info. Helped me decide!

18 minutes ago, DementedAntics said:

Based on all the replies I'm going to go with an Sp01 at this time and shoot it as is with maybe a few upgrades. As many have stated there are many great shooters utilizing a standard Sp01 and it works for my current budget. I appreciate all the help and knowledge people have given to make the choice an easier and more informed one ??. Time to join the CZ "master race". 

Just going to do a few mods nothing crazy at this point. 

Went witht the manual safety. 

Thanks. You guys have me less worried about the safety of lowering the hammer manually!

Thanks for the info. Helped me decide!

Good choice , update us on how you like it. 

I heartily recommend the "shoot it as it is" approach to the gun as you are learning the sport. Honestly, getting every upgrade and tweak for a new gun can actually work against you. A pack of snap caps or an O ring with lots of dry fire practice, a case of ammo for live fire practice, and the time you spend will all be more valuable to your performance than the upgrades at this stage.

That being said, stock SP01s can have reliability issues out of the box with how heavy the recoil spring is with regular factory ammo. It will wear in and function ok, or go with a lighter spring right away. Even after wearing in to where it works or if it works out of the box, the stock recoil spring can have pretty weak ejection with non-nato ammo, so not a bad idea to have a lighter one very early.

The other upgrade I did very early was Cajuns short reset system. I wouldn't necessarily recommend installing the lifter until you are comfortable taking the gun apart, but the firing pin is a reliability upgrade and a lighter hammer spring is an easy improvement. You can get the kit without the lifter if you want to, although that is a must at some point.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I just purchased a standard SP01 manual safety. The sp01 with firing pin block can get very close to a shadow trigger but will require CGW parts and a CZC hammer. CGW hammer is a no go for IDPA. It will need a few hours of polishing and fitting. If you go with a tactical send it out to CGW dont even waste your time on it.

The action parts are going to be in the $300 range

Other parts that are a must include

sights $90+ plus fitting

Extended mag release $35

11lb recoil spring.

You should plan on $400-$550 in parts for the sp01.

The sp01 shadow only needs a good polishing and $30 in springs for a excellent trigger.

If I was to do it again I would buy a standard sp01 shadow. The shadows also have a lot more options for rear sights.

The accu shadow and czc shop limited runs are not idpa ssp legal. 

The shadow 2 is a no go for all idpa divisions because of the weight.

When first starting production and using an SP01, I spent a lot of mornings watching the news and doing 100-500 DA dry fires to get the DA pull ingrained in my trigger finger.  After getting springs, polishing, etc.  Did the same thing at every step to teach my trigger finger what to do.  Would guess close 50-75k or more DA pulls just for that one item.  Suggesting the same for you....