Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Geissele SD-3G

Have been using a Geissele SD-3G in my Smith and Wesson 15/22 built for Steel Challenge for the last season and made Master with it.  I have been shooting PCC now and to see if I liked it, I moved the trigger into my PCC with a standard NFA lower.  First, it seemed to fit in the lower a little differently, meaning it just didn't angle into position quite as easily.  Maybe it was just me.  But the real issue was I got a lot of light primer strikes with it.  My understanding is its actually more likely to get light primer strikes on .22LR with aftermarket triggers than normal primers and I have NEVER had one in the 15/22.  Had several in the PCC.  Hesitant to have to go to the heavier spring cause thinking it should have worked fine.  Put the mil-spec back in for now, but still want an aftermarket for the better trigger and like the Geissele.  Thoughts?

8 minutes ago, MHitchcock said:

There are a lot of threads regarding aftermarket triggers for PCC. The two options I would recommend would be the JP triggers and hyperfire triggers. 

With respect, well aware of threads for aftermarket PCC triggers here.  Have read them.  Also aware the JP triggers and Hyperfire triggers are well liked and the Hyperfire is likely the route for me if the Geisselle is a no go.  But, again respectfully, that doesn't answer the question posed about the trigger I have on hand and light primer strikes.

Thanks.

Edited by Hammer002

Geissele triggers having issues with PCC is nothing new. My guess would be a combination of hammer height (i.e. shorter than hiperfire/jp) and the depth of the particular bolt face you are using (where the firing pin is). People asking the company (Geissele) about it have even stated that eventually their current triggers will fail with ramped bolt/9mm PCC set ups (even the ones that work now). It is the reason that they are designing a PCC specific trigger. Their triggers are not designed to work with a ramped bolt. The two hassle-free choices are really hyperfire and JP as far as I know, both are great triggers.  

***also I have shot all three (SD3G, 24G/eclipse, and JP) on an AR, and have had the JP and Hiperfire in PCCs. For me the SD3G although very close, was behind the other two. You will be very happy with a hyperfire 24C/eclipse or the 24G if you prefer a curved trigger. 

Edited by MHitchcock
2 hours ago, MHitchcock said:

Geissele triggers having issues with PCC is nothing new. My guess would be a combination of hammer height (i.e. shorter than hiperfire/jp) and the depth of the particular bolt face you are using (where the firing pin is). People asking the company (Geissele) about it have even stated that eventually their current triggers will fail with ramped bolt/9mm PCC set ups (even the ones that work now). It is the reason that they are designing a PCC specific trigger. Their triggers are not designed to work with a ramped bolt. The two hassle-free choices are really hyperfire and JP as far as I know, both are great triggers.  

***also I have shot all three (SD3G, 24G/eclipse, and JP) on an AR, and have had the JP and Hiperfire in PCCs. For me the SD3G although very close, was behind the other two. You will be very happy with a hyperfire 24C/eclipse or the 24G if you prefer a curved trigger. 

Now that's some good info I was completely unaware of.  Thanks a ton, cause I was just about to convince myself it had to be me and put it in there again.  Completely saved me the trouble.  Thanks again!

I had the same setup, NFA lower with SD-3G trigger.  Mine would fire the first round but would not cycle second round. I would rack it to eject second round and sometimes it would fire and sometimes a ligth strike. I emailed Geissele and they responded that the SD-3G trigger was designed for the AR-15 and not for ramped bolt which my AR9 is.  They say it is a compatabiity issue.  I swapped this with a RRA trigger and it now works