Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Witness P diagnosis help...

Bapple

Took my EAA Witness P to range today for first time.  Felt great in hand.  VERY accurate, my first 10 rounds were at 5 yds and all 10 were in a quarter size hole.  

Was having one major problem though.  The slide kept locking back with rounds still in the magazine.  This was just a few times either, I shot 100 rds through the gun and there could have been as many as 25-30 times where the slide would lock back with rounds still in the magazine.

My first thought was, I must be riding the slide release.  So I intentionally tried to keep my support hand away from the release.  Did not seem to work.  So then I thought, hell, lets shoot the gun one handed, then I know I am not riding the release because that hand isnt even touching the gun.  Still continued to lock back with rounds in the magazine.  I could not pinpoint when nor why it was doing this.

Any help or suggestions or thoughts on what might be going on?

Do you access to a set of calipers?  The most common bullet weight for factory 9mm is 115, 124s tend to have a slightly longer ogive, and if the OAL we're on the long side for factory ammo, the bullets might contact that nub enough to lock the slide prematurely.

We're talking about a $300, mass produced gun, the chances of it working perfectly with every variable in the ammo market is slim, if they made the nub thinner, not every mag follower would catch it and lock the slide back.

This is just my theory sight unseen, it's possible there's another cause, if you really want to know try some 115gr factory ammo.

Went back to the range today and put 150 rounds of 115gr. Blazer FMJ downrange.  Switching to 115gr did not seem to help.  The slide continues to lock back sporadically with rounds still in the magazine.  Any other thoughts on why this would be happening?  Thanks

I did shoot right hand only.  So the left hand was completely out of the equation to touch the slide release while firing.  Still happened.  After coming home to take a look, I took the slide off and then inserted a magazine back in the frame with the slide release installed also.

I dont see how the rounds could be hitting the slide release, there is more than enough room between the rounds and the slide release on the inside of the gun.

What I did observe is the trigger bar looks very close to the bottom of the slide release.Do you think there is anyway the top of the trigger bar could be contacting the slide release and pushing it up?

My right thumb barely reaches the safety, much less anywhere close to the slide release.  So I don't think I am inadvertantly hitting the slide release.  Some other gremlin is showing up somehow/somewhere

The same thing used to happen to me with my 45 P Carry when it was new. I couldn't figure the thing out, not hitting the slide lock and the bullets in the mag weren't hitting it either. After about 500 rounds, not sure exactly but certainly not more than that, it stopped and hasn't happened since. If you figure it out let me know. If it just stops after break in let me know too. Thanks.