Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Zealand IPSC?

Not sure the best place to post this, so here goes...

I'm about a year from retirement. We've spent a lot of time traveling overseas and even lived a while in India for my work. As I consider where to move after I leave Hellinois, I got to thinking about New Zealand.

I've traveled there twice...once for 3 weeks for work and last summer for a couple weeks with the family. I grew up in Colorado and consider myself knowledgeable about spectacular scenery. I'm comfortable saying NZ is a spectacularly beautiful place with very warm and friendly people. I could easily see myself living there, but what about the guns? 'Merica!

I couldn't help but notice when I was there last that they actually had some gun shops, including one claiming to be "the largest in the world". I found that tough to believe but didn't have time to find out first hand. Some cursory investigation led me to know that the gun laws aren't terrible...again, I'm living behind enemy lines in Illinois so consider that as my base. More importantly they appear to have some active IPSC clubs. This is important as my intent is to continue shooting actively well into retirement.

Wondering if there are any Kiwi IPSC shooters on benos that could advise on the pistol and/or 3 gun scene on either the north or South Island? Any pointers about the roadblocks an American citizen may face as an expat in NZ that wants to continue shooting pistol, rifle and shotgun?

So I'm a very active skier and snowboarder...NZ has some great spots for those activities too. We also had a ton of fun hiking and trekking the countryside to soak up the unspoiled natural beauty of the country so if the guns thing works out I could see this as a win-win-win sort of deal. Or maybe I'm delusional...

Thanks,

Dan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kia ora! I'm based in Auckland and am a born and bred kiwi.
We have a few different license classes that let you own and shoot different category guns. "A Category" guns are bolt action sporting rifles or semis up to 7 rounds. "B Category" is for pistols. "C Category" is for collectors licenses and covers everything not in any other category (these can't be legally fired). "D Category" is for dealers. And "E Category" is for what we like to call MSSAs - military style semi automatics - semis with more than 7 rounds or a pistol grip.
To get an A Category license is pretty straightforward - a background check by an interviewing police officer who also checks you have a safe to store them in.
You need an A Category license before you can apply for the other license classes. To shoot pistols or E Cat rifles is a bit more complicated. For pistols you need to be a member of a pistol club (there are lots around, most shoot IPSC) and complete a set number of shoots in a probationary period. Then you can apply for the B endorsement to your license.
Similar for E Cat - a couple of extra referees and a legitimate reason to own them and you're good to go.
Oh and B and E Category guns need special storage - the equivalent of a 6mm steel, dual locked safe anchored to your house.
Most pistol clubs around shoot IPSC - we also have 3 Gun which is currently run to IPSC rules - and multigun is just getting up and running (to 3 Gun Nation type rules).
If you're a snow sports type then Queenstown is a hotspot in the South Island. Warm in summer (30+ degrees C) and surrounded by snow in winter. Good hunting opportunities too (deer and tahr).
Ping me a PM if you want to know any more :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Two thoughts for you :

1.  You might have to become a citizen of NZ to qualify to own a handgun ...   Not sure what that would entail.

2.  Check your health care benefits - my Medicare and my private insurance company do NOT cover me

for medical problems outside the US.

Must be a way around these two items, but I'd look into them BEFORE you move 10,000 miles    :)

I've heard NZ  is beautiful, though    :)  :)